SIF Winter 2024 Dates:
The SIF Application Portal is open for Winter 2024 applications from October 26, 2023 - January 24, 2024 at 11:59PM.
Winter 2024 Pitch Weekend will happen February 9-11, 2024.
Submitting a Space Upgrade Application
In addition to student-led initiatives, SIF provides funding assistance for student space renovations and other related upgrades such as requests for new appliances or furniture for on-campus spaces.
Renovations are performed by Toronto Metropolitan Facilities Management & Development or its contractors. The budget submitted to SIF is based on the costs estimated by Toronto Metropolitan Facilities Management & Development.
Applications for student lounge upgrades must be endorsed by the respective program Chair or Dean.
Your application should focus on cosmetic changes, such as: paint, lighting, new flooring, furniture and equipment (microwaves, computers), or card reader access.
Structural renovations to your student lounge (like tearing down walls) will not be considered through the SIF Student Space Upgrade Funding. It is important to focus on the most significant upgrades you would like to make.
To apply for the SIF Student Space Upgrade Funding, you will need:
- The contact information for Primary contact (the main contact person for the initiative) and a Secondary contact (a fellow student planning this initiative)
- A Project Supervisor (a full-time staff member from your program department who provides the applicants with guidanceand support required for the success of the initiative).
- Answer all application questions fully.
- Submit supporting documents.
Supporting documents include:
- A letter of support from your Program Chair/ Dean which includes their signature.
- (PDF file) Toronto Metropolitan Facilities Management & Development Student Space Upgrade Request form (found here)
- A clear list of furniture/equipment/labour in need of funding
- An explanation of the nature of your request such as (picture of the current space).
Tip! To strengthen your application, include layouts/ drawings of your new design.
All Student Space Upgrade Applications will be assessed in the Winter Term. The SIF Team reserves the right to request that any Student Space Upgrade Application attend pitch weekend (for more details, see: Pitching your Initiative)
If you have any questions about the Student Space Upgrade guidelines or submitting your Student Space Upgrade application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about SIF