Graduate Student Support
We offer services for Master’s or PhD students. Book an individual appointment to discuss research papers, grant applications, theses and dissertations. Graduate students can join a graduate writing group, meet with a dissertation coach, or attend our Dissertation Retreats to develop academic skills specific to graduate education.
Need assistance using Google Meet or Zoom? (google doc) Read our guide on online apps (external link) .
Book an appointment with a graduate support consultant for one-on-one help with academic writing, research, grant applications, dissertation writing, and more.
Want to make real progress, while supported by a distraction free atmosphere and an expert writing coach who will help you move through any specific writing blocks?
Turn off your phones and notifications for 3 hours and join us for coffee and silent graduate writing sessions. We will not be talking, reading or whispering. We will be writing non-stop for 3 hours. We ask that you arrive on time to minimize interruptions to your peers.
For Fall 2023, this group meets from 2-5pm on Wednesdays via Zoom (link will be sent after registration).
We hope to see you soon!
We offer interactive workshops on a variety of graduate-focused writing topics, designed to help you become more familiar with the essential skills necessary for academic success in graduate school, and invite you to interact with your peers. Each workshop consists of two parts (50-minutes each) offered in tandem: a) Instructional (Theory) and b) Peer-review (Practice).
You can register for the workshops here by selecting “Graduate Student Support” and then “Workshops”. Workshops are offered during the fall and winter semesters and as in-class presentations upon request.
Feeling stuck in the writing process for your PhD dissertation? Meet with a dissertation coach to develop writing strategies, set up an accountability system, and receive direction and feedback on your process, approach, or the structure of your dissertation
How it works:
- (google form) Submit a request for a 50 minute 1-on-1 appointment with a dissertation coach (external link, opens in new window)
- The initial appointment will include an informal needs assessment and goal setting
- Subsequent sessions will focus on the progression of your goals and providing feedback unique to your writing needs
What we can help with:
- Identifying and setting goals
- Establishing good work habits and setting up an accountability system
- Developing a strategy and a realistic writing schedule
- Preparing for defences
- Building resilience and overcoming imposter syndrome or writer’s block
- Finding a clear direction when you feel stuck
- Learning effective writing and research strategies
- Organizing your writing process
- Learning ways to monitor your progress
- Demystifying aspects of the PhD journey
- And more!
PhD students who are at the “all-but-defended” (ABD) stage of their program are invited to our residential Dissertation Retreats.
The Retreat offers a rare opportunity for TMU PhD students to immerse themselves into their dissertation work in a quiet, distraction-free setting, where they can enjoy dedicated writing space and time, individual writing support, and a writing community of peers committed to the same goal.
No retreats planned at this time
Offered in the winter semester
TMU graduate students, let’s spend the day writing together!
Writing doesn't need to be so daunting. Building community can help. This Graduate Write-a-thon is our chance to get down to writing, together.
Whether you’re writing a paper, editing a proposal, or revising a thesis, we invite you to join us for intensive writing time, individual support, and camaraderie!
Immerse yourself in your work in a quiet, virtual distraction-free setting. Enjoy dedicated writing space and time, individual support, and a community of peers committed to the same goal.
Bring your work, and we will provide a structure and support, as well as lunch, coffee, and snacks.
Learning Support is excited to invite all TMU graduate students to join us via Zoom for two days of learning with members of the graduate community!
Engage with students, scholars and faculty while gaining insights on how to build skills as a graduate student and academic here at TMU. Workshop topics include:
- Academic research and writing
- Understanding how to work on long-term writing projects
- Writing a research proposal and literature review
- Integrating sources, paraphrasing, citing sources...and more
Did you know?
Graduate students who use English as an additional language can participate in many of our Writing & Language Support programming, such as English Conversation Groups, ECS Classes, Conversational Connections, Speaking & Listening appointments and Grammar/Supported self-editing appointments.