Design, Culture and Creative Industries
“Ryerson taught me to produce films with a level of confidence I didn’t have before.”
Express yourself and realize your creative vision with guidance from industry experts. Located in the media capital of Canada, TMU’s graduate programs offer the latest tools and technology to help you lead the conversation on contemporary culture.
Study design, culture and creative industries at TMU
- Communication and Culture (MA, PhD): Explore contemporary issues in this unique interdisciplinary joint program with York University. Focus on: Media and Culture, Politics and Policy, or Technology in Practice.
- Documentary Media (MFA): Create non-fiction narrative work in film, photography and new media. Explore a variety of production and distribution options, culminating in a major professional work.
- Fashion (MA): Live at the crossroads of culture and commerce in Canada’s only graduate fashion program. Explore what’s next in what’s wearable as part of a diverse graduate community.
- Film and Photography Preservation and Collections Management (MA): Through international partnerships with renowned institutions and industry professionals, this unique program exposes you to the material science, theory and history of photographic and film processes and museum practices.
- Journalism (MJ): Gain a sophisticated understanding of journalism’s historic mission and its present-day possibilities through Toronto Met's renowned School of Journalism. Learn advanced research skills, embrace innovation and gain a global perspective in Canada’s most diverse and dynamic city.
- Literatures of Modernity (MA): Envelop yourself in pressing contemporary theoretical and practical issues. Learn about the rich variety of literary forms and theories that inform different understandings of modernity.
- Media Production (MA): Create compelling media works that entertain, inform and inspire. Built on 65 years of broadcasting and media production success through Toronto Met’s RTA School of Media, this program provides the perfect balance of theory, creative practice and industry connections.
- Professional Communication (MPC): Discover how communication impacts productivity and sustainability at both organizational and global levels. Gain a balance of theoretical knowledge and practical skills, preparing you for pivotal responsibilities in organizations.
- Philosophy (MA): Explore a wide array of philosophical topics and approaches. This innovative program offers a major research paper or thesis stream, providing valuable professional skills and solid preparation for PhD studies.
1st and only graduate program of its kind in Canada (Fashion)
75% of Communication and Culture PhD students received travel grants (2014)
$5M in federal and provincial scholarships