Calculating Your GPA
When assessing your application to a graduate program(s) at Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly Ryerson University), we will consider your Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) and the equivalent of your last two years of study. We do not include any college/CEGEP grades in our calculations.
Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA)
The CGPA includes all of the courses that were completed for each degree.
When calculating the two-year GPA for a completed degree, we look at the most recently completed courses and work backwards until we have the approximate equivalent of two years of full-time study. For applicants in their final year of study, we will count back to the beginning of the second last year of full-time study.
The timeline and/or the number of credits in the calculation may vary depending on whether you were a part-time or full-time student and whether or not you completed spring/summer courses. Whenever possible we use that flexibility to count credits that will be used to your advantage.
Things to Remember
- Use the grading scale provided by your institution. Typically the grading scale is available on the back of each transcript or in the academic calendar.
- The weight of a course may vary based on the length of the course. Make sure you take this into consideration when calculating the average.
- If you are currently enrolled in, or have completed courses after your degree has been conferred, we will not include these courses in your final GPA calculation, however, they will be included in the assessment of your application
- We only include completed courses where the credit was earned.
- Courses that are completed without an assigned grade but given a notation of pass/fail or credit, including courses disrupted during the COVID-19 pandemic, will not be included in grade calculations.
- We will evaluate exchanges, terms completed abroad, letters of permission and transfer credits on an individual basis.
- If your degree is in progress, we will calculate the two-year GPA and CGPA based on the courses you have completed at the time of application. If you have been granted an offer of admission, you will be required to submit an official final transcript in order to re-calculate your final CGPA and ensure that you have met the conditions of your offer.
- We will calculate each degree separately. If your CGPA or two-year GPA meets the published minimum requirement for admission consideration, your application will be forwarded to the Program Admissions Committee of the program(s) for which you have applied for evaluation and consideration.