You are now in the main content area
When you acknowledge someone's contributions, it has a direct impact on their engagement, satisfaction and motivation. Encourage a culture of appreciation by taking the time to say thanks.
- Nominate someone for a TMU employee award.
- At the end of a project, share a few specific things that went well with team members.
- Bake or bring treats to recognize team contributions.
- Implement employee suggestions, communicate the success and how it improved the work of the team or department.
- Highlight external awards and recognitions on faculty or department websites.
- Send an ecard or email thanking someone, and copy their supervisor if it’s their preference.
- Establish a place to post and recognize progress toward goals.
- Open team meetings with positive feedback from clients.
- Send notes to team members at the conclusion of a project to thank them for their contributions.
- Develop a homemade travelling award or trophy that honours contributions made by team members.
- Depending on employee preferences, acknowledge their contributions at staff meetings or special events.
- When you hear positive feedback about someone, repeat it to that person as soon as possible.
- Have a "How Can We Help?" day. Each team member takes on one task for an overburdened colleague. Rotate who receives help.
- Give someone the opportunity to train or mentor a new employee.
- Celebrate birthdays, births/adoptions, volunteer accomplishments, completed education and other life events with your team.
- Celebrate work anniversaries and service milestones.
- Keep a sticky notepad on your desk and write one thank you note per day until they’re gone.
- Invite a team in your department to organize a recognition event. Allow them to determine what to recognize and how to acknowledge recipients.
- Invite team members to recognize each other during your update meetings.
- Take the time to understand the work and value of another team, and then recognize them with a thank you card.
- Encourage employees to participate in campus volunteer opportunities and events on campus (e.g. convocation, equity and inclusion events).
- Encourage employees to join an employee community network.