You are now in the main content area

Electronic Travel Authorization

An electronic travel authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement that is electronically linked to a visa-exempt individual’s passport. It is issued up to a maximum period of five years, or upon passport expiry, whichever comes first.

Students who do not require a TRV (i.e. are visa-exempt) and wish to fly to or transit through Canada by plane require an eTA. Please consult the eTA (external link)  page on the IRCC website to determine if you require an eTA.

If you are a citizen of a country that requires an eTA and you are applying for an initial study permit from outside of Canada, an eTA will automatically be issued upon approval of your study permit application. Your eTA may be issued for the same duration as your approved study permit or a five-year period.

If you are not applying for an initial study permit and only require an eTA to study in Canada (i.e. you meet the short-term courses study permit requirement exemption), you can apply for an eTA online (external link) .

Upon obtaining a new passport, you will need to apply for a new eTA. You can apply for a new eTA online. (external link) 

Did you know?

Students require either a TRV or an eTA in order to enter or re-enter Canada, not both. The only exception is students travelling on a valid US passport- in case this, no eTA or TRV are required.