You are now in the main content area

Study Permit

International students enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (external link)  (DLI), a school approved by the provincial or territorial government to host international students, for programs that are more than six months in length are required to obtain a study permit. International students are responsible for ensuring that their study permits are valid at all times.

Toronto Metropolitan University’s DLI number is: O19395677651.

In order to apply for a study permit, you must first receive an offer of admission. Your application must be approved before coming to Canada and you must apply for your initial study permit outside of Canada.

When can I apply?

  • We strongly recommend that you apply for a study permit as soon as you receive an offer of admission or confirmation of enrollment from the university in order to receive it on time.
  • You can apply for an initial study permit (external link)  from outside of Canada either online or on paper. Where possible, we recommend applying online as processing times are quicker.
  • US citizens, permanent residents of the United States, residents of Greenland and residents of St. Pierre and Miquelon may choose to apply for a study permit at the Port of Entry (POE) upon entering Canada. Make sure you have the right documents (external link)  with you when crossing the border.

 What documents do I need?

Minor children under the age of 18 will need to appoint a custodian, a responsible, adult Canadian citizen or permanent resident, in order to study in Canada. Please refer to studying in Canada as a minor (external link)  for more information.

You must apply to extend your study permit before it expires if you plan to continue studying in Canada past your study permit date of expiration. Study permit extension applications must be done from inside Canada. We recommend extending your study permit approximately 3 to 4 months before it expires.

You can extend your study permit online (external link)  or on paper (external link) . Where possible, we recommend applying online as processing times are quicker.

What documents do I need?

Document requirements may vary depending on your individual situation and are outlined in your GCKey/Sign In-Partner Account (external link)  (for online applications) after completing the questionnaire or Document Checklist IMM 5555 (external link)  (for paper applications).

Confirmation of enrolment letters are provided by ISS, learn more about requesting a status letter here

Please note that you may be required to obtain a medical examination (external link)  and/or biometrics (external link)  as part of your study permit extension application.

Did you know?

Transition between levels of study (primary, secondary and post-secondary)

As of April 11, 2019 students transitioning between levels of study (primary, secondary and post-secondary) are no longer required to apply for a new study permit, provided their current study permit is still valid.

Students are still required to notify IRCC of changing Designated Learning Institutions (DLI). This may be done through their MyAccount.
 (external link) 

You can amend your study permit (external link)  if there was a mistake made by IRCC when the study permit was issued.

If you are eligible to work in Canada, but the wording on your study permit states you "may not work" or "may not accept employment", you will need to amend your study permit to get the right wording to apply for a SIN.

When and how can I apply for a study permit amendment?

  • You should apply as soon as possible. You must have the correct conditions on your study permit in order to work in Canada.
  • Study permit amendment applications are paper only.
  • The amendment application form (external link)  can be found here.

In some cases, students are exempt from obtaining a study permit. Students who are pursuing short-term courses (external link) , meaning a course or program that is six months or less in duration, are not required to obtain a study permit.

For a full list of exemptions from obtaining a study permit, please refer to Who needs a study permit (external link)  on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Please note that due to COVID-19, students who meet the study permit exemption may be
required to obtain a study permit in order to enter Canada. Please contact

Did you know?

If you are exempt from obtaining a study permit, you may still be required to obtain a temporary resident visa (TRV) or electronic travel authorization (eTA) in order to travel to Canada.

Students who have previously studied at another Designated Learning Institution (DLI) (external link)  in Canada are not required to obtain a new study permit as a result of transferring to a new post-secondary institution. If you hold a study permit that is valid for post-secondary studies, please ensure to change the DLI number (external link)  associated with your study permit once you transfer.

This application is free of charge and must be done online.

International students intending to study in Canada are typically required to apply for a study permit. For students planning to start their program with TMU in Fall 2023, we are requesting information on students’ study permit application to better facilitate planning for this term.

Please note that Fall 2023 undergraduate classes at TMU will begin on 5 September 2023. It is recommended that students have received a valid study permit at least two weeks ahead of this date to start their program in Fall. Students who do not have a valid study permit may need to defer their offers of admission to Winter 2024. 

If you intend to begin your studies at TMU in Fall 2023 but have not yet applied for your study permit, please do so as soon as possible.

How to Access the Form (external link) 

How Can I Update the Form (external link)