You are now in the main content area

New Arrivals

You have made a big step by choosing to come to Canada, and ISS is here to guide and support you during your studies at Toronto Metropolitan University! Find everything you need to know about life as an international student at Toronto Metropolitan University.

Before You Arrive

There are many things to consider before you begin your studies in Canada. This pre-arrival checklist will help you get ready.

For full information on current travel exemptions, entry to Canada and quarantine requirements, please refer to our COVID-19 Updates Website under Frequently Asked Questions.

If you are travelling to Canada, please make electronic and/or paper copies of all your important documents and keep them in your carry on baggage. It is a good idea to make a list of all your valuable items just in case they get lost or stolen.

You will need ALL the following documents to board your flight and enter Canada:

  • Valid Passport;
  • Letter of Introduction (Study permit approval letter) or valid study permit) and;
  • Valid Temporary resident visa(TRV)/ eTA*

*If you are an incoming exchange student who qualifies as a fully vaccinated traveller (external link, opens in new window)  and you will be in Canada for less than six months, you may only require a valid passport and valid temporary resident visa or eTA (external link, opens in new window) .

Other Important Items:

  • Airline tickets
  • Credit cards
  • Emergency contact information
  • Medicines and prescriptions
  • Birth certificate (copy)
  • Transcripts and educational documents (extra copies)

Please make sure that you monitor yourself for any symptoms (external link)  and do not travel if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.

In addition to regular packing requirements, please also arrange to travel with the following:

  • Prepare your non-medical masks and face coverings (external link, opens in new window) . These masks should: 
    • allow for easy breathing
    • fit securely to the head with ties or ear loops
    • maintain their shape after washing and drying
    • be changed as soon as possible if damp or dirty
    • be comfortable and not require frequent adjustment
    • be made of at least 2 layers of tightly-woven material fabric (such as cotton or linen)
    • be large enough to completely and comfortably cover the nose and mouth without gaping
  • Pack your essential items (external link, opens in new window)  which include but are not limited to:
    • Certain categories of prescription medicine or special medical items should be carried together with a medical note signed by a physician certifying that you require the medication or the items for a medical condition.
    • Toiletries should also be carried in sufficient quantity for the entire visit unless their availability at the travel destination is assured. These will include items for dental care, eye care (including contact lenses), skincare and personal hygiene.

When you meet the border services officer, you may have to show them:

  • A valid passport or travel document.
  • The letter of introduction (external link)  the visa office sent you when they approved your study permit. This letter has your permit reference number, which is used to issue your study permit. (Note: Incoming exchange students who qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller (external link) , and you will be in Canada for less than six months, may not have a study permit approval letter/letter of introduction).
  • A copy of a valid letter of acceptance from Ryerson.
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada.
  • Letters of reference or any other documents the visa office told you to bring and either a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (external link)  (eTA) or visitor visa (temporary resident visa (external link) ). If you have a valid eTA, it will be linked to the passport you used to apply for your study permit
  • Children under 18 should have valid identification with them. The documents a minor child needs to present depend on whether the child is travelling alone or with someone. Find out about the requirements for minor children at this link. (external link) 
  • Disclose your funds of CAD$10,000 or more.
  • Self-isolation site contact information, including cell phone number for the driver.
  • International Student Support contact information (
  • Print out of Self-Isolation Plan (if required quarantine).

International Student Support (ISS) wants to welcome you upon arrival at the airport! Are you flying into Toronto Pearson International Airport on Sunday August 27th? Do you want to be greeted by the friendly and knowledgeable ISS staff and other international students? We will be on site from 1:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. at the YYZ Airport to get to know you, provide you with some snacks and refreshments, and answer any questions you may have!

If you are arriving at the YYZ airport on August 27th, please fill out the registration form by Wednesday, August 23rd to receive your welcome care package at the airport!

Getting Started at Toronto Metropolitan University Checklist

Post-quarantine, here is a checklist for setting up your student account, accessing your courses, and finding community.

Living On-Campus

There are multiple room styles options between the residence buildings that you can choose from based on your preference. Learn more about on-campus housing.

Off-Campus Housing

There are off-campus residences near the university. To learn about how to look for off-campus housing, you can visit the Off-Campus Housing website.

It is highly recommended that you secure housing prior to arriving in Toronto. While private housing may be found in Toronto after arrival, housing suitable for students is limited, particularly during the back-to-school period in late August and early September. The duration of a standard private residential lease is 1 year. Keep in mind that most landlords will require you to pay first and last month's rent upfront.

Not sure what to prepare for or expect when you are living in Canada? EduCanada provides a variety of information that will help you get acquainted with Student Life in Canada, including tips before you arrive, a pre-departure checklist and making the most out of your stay while studying in Canada. For more information visit EduCanada (external link) .

Navigating Toronto and Surrounding Municipalities

How do I get to Toronto Metropolitan University from Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)?

Toronto Pearson is close to many public transit (external link)  routes which can take you to several areas in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).

Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)

The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is responsible for providing public transit in the City of Toronto. The TTC serves this area with a grid network of:

  • four subway lines (train)
  • 11 streetcar routes; and
  • more than 140 bus routes

GO Transit

GO Transit is a network of train and bus lines that keep people moving around the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

How do I pay to use the GO?

  1. Presto Card (external link) 
  2. Buy tickets online or at the GO station (external link) 

Operators on the bus/streetcar/train do not sell fares or carry change.

  1. Exact cash
  2. Tokens: A fare is good for one continuous trip on the TTC, including transfers between routes.
  3. Presto card: Your PRESTO card works on transit agencies in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) and Ottawa.
  4. Metropass: Metropass provides unlimited travel in a specific month on all regular TTC services. Extra fare required for Downtown Express routes or contracted routes operated by the TTC outside the City of Toronto.

There are two types of metropasses that you can purchase:

You can find out how much each Metropass costs (external link) .

Family Support

We are pleased to welcome international and newcomer students at all levels of study who will be accompanied by members of their family, such as a partner and/or children. The Family Support: Pre-Arrival Resource Guide provides you with valuable information to support you and your loved ones’ transition to life in Canada.

Quick Links

Newcomer programming at International Student Support guides current students who are new to Canada in their transition to studying at Toronto Metropolitan Universityand putting down roots in the Greater Toronto Area. Currently, we offer 

  • One-on-one settlement advising
  • Canadian citizenship workshops
  • Resources to support students’ academics, pursue career goals and connect to the community.

While newcomer students may not share the same status, the common experience of settling in a new country and studying at Toronto Metropolitan University brings them together. International Student Support defines a newcomer student as an individual who has been in Canada for five years or less (1). Newcomer students may hold any of the following statuses (2) in Canada:

  • Permanent resident
  • Convention refugee/protected person
  • Refugee claimant
  • Canadian citizen (Naturalized, or recently returned citizen after an extended absence)
  • Temporary resident
  • Non status 

Additionally, International Student Support would be pleased to support students who self-identify as newcomers to Canada but do not fall under the criteria defined above.


  1. Statistics Canada (external link)  uses the terms ‘newcomer’ and ‘recent immigrant’ interchangeably and define a newcomer as a landed immigrant who came to Canada up to five years prior to a given census year.