You are now in the main content area

Documentation for Family

Immediate family members may accompany full-time international students attending a degree or diploma program to Canada. Eligible accompanying family members include:

Accompanying family members may apply for their immigration documents after you have obtained your study permit and traveled to Canada, or apply together with you when you submit your study permit application. Applications can be submitted online (external link, opens in new window)  or by paper. Where possible, we recommend submitting online as processing times are quicker.

Please ensure to bring any official school records, immunization records and original birth certificates for any dependent children as these documents may be required to enrol your child in school. Any documents that are not in English should be accompanied by a certified translation. Find out if your child requires a study permit to study (external link, opens in new window)  in Canada.

Did you know?

Spouses or common-law partners of full-time international students may apply for an open work permit (external link, opens in new window) . Your dependents’ immigration status documents will likely be issued to the same duration as your study permit, allowing your family to remain in Canada while you complete your studies.

How can my family member/friend visit me in Canada?

Your family member or friend may require a TRV in order to visit you in Canada. Please consult the list of countries and territories (external link)  whose citizens require an entry visa to enter Canada to determine if they need to apply for a TRV.

Your family member or friend can apply online or by paper for a TRV (external link) . Where possible, we recommend applying online as processing times are quicker.

Please note that your family member or friend may be required to obtain a medical examination (external link)  and/or biometrics (external link)  as part of their TRV application.

What documents do they need?

You will need to request a status letter from our office to include with your family member or friend’s TRV application. This letter confirms your enrollment, program and year of study and estimated graduation date.

In addition to the status letter, we also recommend that you write your own letter of invitation for your family member or friend. Please follow this letter of invitation template (external link)  on the IRCC website.

Other document requirements may vary depending on your family member or friend’s local visa office and are outlined in your GCKey/Sign In-Partner Account (external link)  (online applications) after completing the questionnaire or Document Checklist IMM 5484 (external link)  (paper applications).