You are now in the main content area

Health & Wellness

Wellness is the lifelong active process of making decisions towards a holistic, healthy, and fulfilling lifestyle.

When we think about health, it’s important to recognize the different dimensions of health and how they contribute to our well-being. These include:

  • Physical
  • Spiritual
  • Social & cultural
  • Emotional
  • Career, academic, volunteer
  • Financial
  • Environmental

The World Health Organization (WHO) (external link, opens in new window)  defines health as a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.

Each of these dimensions play an important part in health. Making a small change to one area can help boost other areas. During different times, you may find yourself focusing on one area over another and that’s okay. Or, you may value one area over another. That’s also okay. There are lots of ways to maintain a holistically healthy life and making decisions that are good for you and where you are at is the most important thing to keep in mind. Student Health Assistance & Resilience Peer Program (SHARPP) is a great resource to help you identify your well-being goals and work towards them.

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) 

UHIP is a mandatory health insurance that provides medical coverage comparable to that of OHIP for Ontario students. All international students (including undergraduate, graduate, and exchange students) studying in Ontario with a valid study permit are required to be enrolled in UHIP. This plan pays for medical services such as seeing a doctor, hospital stays and treatment, exams, and emergency services. International students must confirm with ISS that they are enrolled by emailing from their email account and providing their student number.

The cost of the insurance, currently $756, is charged to your student account along with your tuition fees. You are covered from September 1 until August 31 of each academic year. This insurance covers hospital and physician services, x-rays, and annual exams. You can find out more information regarding the types of services through the UHIP CoverageDetails (external link) .

This mandatory health insurance is a government replacement plan that provides medical coverage comparable to that of OHIP for Ontario residents.

Services covered by UHIP include hospital and physician services, x-rays and annual exams. Students can visit the UHIP plan details (external link)  page to learn more about the types of services that are covered by UHIP and those that are not covered.

International students can contact International Student Support at 416-979-5000 ext. 556655, or visit us in POD-50A for information and advice about UHIP coverage, as well as assistance with special issues or questions.

Anyone (Canadian or international) who has health insurance must provide valid proof of health coverage before receiving medical services/care. International students can print their UHIP cards upon enrolment or they can obtain a printable electronic card to their email from International Student Support (ISS) in POD-50A at any time throughout the year.

When visiting a doctor's office, clinic or hospital, you will be required to present a copy of your UHIP electronic card to the receptionist or registration desk. Your insurance information will be recorded and the insurance company (Cowan) will be billed for your medical fees.

Please confirm with your intended medical provider beforehand to determine if the UHIP plan is accepted. It is preferred that you visit a clinic or hospital that accepts UHIP so that you do not have to pay out of your own pocket for medical services.

UHIP coverage is for a 12 month period running from September 1 to August 31 of each academic year.

ISS will automatically enroll all eligible international students in UHIP for the twelve-month period from September 1st to August 31st of the current academic year. You must connect in person or via email at (opens in new window)  with International Student Support to ensure that you are enrolled in UHIP. 

Your UHIP electronic card will be sent to you as a link from Cowan's email to your TMU email address with information on how to access it. Similarly, you can register (external link)  online to access your coverage card or fill out the  (google form) UHIP card request form (external link) .

If you are enrolled in classes and have not received the UHIP card or the UHIP fee on your MyServiceHub account, please contact us as soon as possible to do this or fill out the  (google form) UHIP Inquiry Form (external link) .

It is very important for you to:

  1. Review your account details on MyServiceHub for the UHIP premium fee.
  2. Connect with ISS, either in person at POD-50A or by email at, to verify your UHIP enrollment status or to ask questions about the UHIP premium fee, coverage details, etc.

Health insurance coverage is mandatory for spouses and dependent children who are accompanying or visiting an international student. Couple or family coverage must be obtained (at an additional fee) to include your family members while they are staying in Canada.

Spouses and children must be enrolled in UHIP within 30 days of their arrival in Canada or a late fee will be added to the UHIP premium fee.

  1. Connect with ISS, either in person at POD-50A or by email at to verify your UHIP enrollment status and enroll your spouse and or/dependent children.
  2. Speak to an International Student Advisor, either in person or via email, about the UHIP premium fee, coverage details, etc.
  3. Review your account details on MyServiceHub for the couple or family UHIP premium fee and make the necessary payment (opens in new window) .

UHIP coverage will expire on August 31st each year that you are enrolled. Students who complete their studies in August are eligible for UHIP Extension. To request an extension, please email

In some cases students may be required to pay the health costs on their own and request reimbursement from Cowan by submitting a UHIP claim (external link) . To request payment from Cowan for any medical expenses covered by UHIP, an international student must:

  1. Print a copy of the Claim Form* or pick up a copy from ISS in POD-50A.
  2. Fill in the information and attach your original receipts. If you need help completing the form or have questions, please make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor. Always keep a copy of your receipts.

It is very important that international students requiring clinical and hospital services use the UHIP "Preferred Provider Network" (PPN) to ensure that they are not personally responsible for a portion of the costs for their medical treatment. A list of PPN hospitals can be found on the UHIP website (external link) 

Did you know?

The nearest off-campus clinic is:
MCI - Atrium Clinic (external link) , 595 Bay St Suite F-01 Atrium On Bay, Tel: 416-598-1703

The nearest hospital is:
St. Michael's Hospital, (external link)  30 Bond Street, Tel: 416-360-4000 
Emergency department is located at the corner of Victoria Street and Shuter Street.

The TMU Medical Centre provides registered students with health services similar to those offered by a family doctor. International students are encouraged to visit the Medical Centre for health services and referrals (UHIP is accepted). The services available include general medical care, annual physicals, allergy and flu shots, blood tests and referrals to specialists.

For more information or to make an appointment, call 416-979-5070 or visit the Medical Centre's website. You can also visit the medical centre in person at 181 Kerr Hall West (KHW) 

The annual cost of the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is currently $756 for 12 months of coverage. This is added to your tuition fees on MyServiceHub at the start of each academic year.

Please visit the UHIP website (external link)  for a detailed breakdown of premium fees (external link) .

Exchange students: your UHIP premium will be charged based on the number of terms that you will be studying at Toronto Metropolitan. E.g. one term = 4 months @ $252.

Looking for a video on what you need to know about your university health plans and how to confirm that you are enrolled in them? Check out our Health Information Session recordings! These recording are available to all TMU students and must be accessed through you TMU zoom account

Health Information Session Undergraduates (UHIP& TMSU Health and Dental Plan)

Health Information Session Graduates (UHIP& TMGSU Health and Dental Plan)

UHIP & TMSU/TMGSU Walkthrough

OHIP For Temporary Workers

Open Work Permit holders (including international students with a valid Post-Graduation Work Permit) and their spouses/dependants may be eligible for Ontario health insurance coverage. In order to be considered, provide proof of employment (job letter or offer) in Ontario for at least six (6) months, have a valid work permit during this time and:

  • maintain your primary place of residence in Ontario; and
  • are physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period; and
  • are physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province.

For more detailed information about OHIP eligibility and requirements, refer to the fact sheet on OHIP Eligibility (external link)  and Questions and Answers (external link)  on OHIP.

If you have any questions about your eligibility for OHIP coverage please contact INFO line at 1-866-532-3161 or visit your local Service Ontario (external link)  Office. The nearest Service Ontario office to campus is located at College Park, Lower level, 777 Bay Street.

Health and Dental

The Toronto Metropolitan Students Union (TMSU) Members' Health and Dental Plan provides alternate health coverage for some services not covered by the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), to all full-time undergraduate students (Canadian and international) at Toronto Metropolitan University. Full-time graduate students also have a similar plan called the TMGSU Health and Dental Plan. These health services include prescription medications, chiropractors, dental services and massage therapy.

For more information on the Members' Health and Dental Plan contact the TMSU Health Administrator at 416-979-5255 ext. 2311, email (undergraduates) or (graduates). Members can also visit the Member Service Office in SCC or visit the TMSU website / TMGSU website

Alternative Health Information

International Student Support (ISS) administers the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) to all full-time undergraduate, graduate and exchange students as well as their dependents.

There are, however, some international students and family members (extended) who need to obtain health insurance while staying in Canada and would not be eligible to obtain UHIP. Some of these cases will include:

  • A common-law spouse who is living with a UHIP eligible student but where the relationship does not meet the requirement under UHIP (conjugal union of at least 12 months).
  • An international student registered in a part-time degree program.
  • An international student registered in a program or courses at the G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education.
  • Newly admitted international students who are already living in Canada but are not yet registered at Toronto Metropolitan University.
  • An international student who has graduated and exceeded the coverage provided by UHIP and does not yet qualify for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) – UHIP can be extended until October 31.
  • A child of a student, staff or faculty who is over 21 and not studying full-time.
  • Extended family members e.g. siblings, parents, grandparents, cousins, etc. who will be coming to Canada to visit.

There are settlement and community agencies (external link)  that can help newcomers who are ineligible for UHIP or OHIP.