Statement on the Conflict in the Middle East
Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) condemns terrorism and stands against attacks on civilians. We grieve with our community for the immense loss of life in the Middle East.
Over the past few days, we have been actively reaching out to our students, faculty and staff as well as community groups who have been impacted by these horrible events. If you are in need of assistance, please know that help is available:
- Students can access wellbeing services and support through the Centre for Student Development and Counselling.
- Keep.meSAFE (external link) provides counselling services for students, with 24/7 access to licensed counsellors via telephone and mobile chat. Mental health care can be provided in over 60 languages and students can access the service from outside of Canada too.
- Student Care offers support to students navigating a variety of complex factors while they study, including financial and academic as well as physical and mental health challenges. Students are encouraged to connect with them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Faculty and staff members affected by these troubling events can connect with the Employee and Family Assistance Program for counselling and other supports.
- There are also several faculty and staff community networks that employees can access for support.
TMU’s International Student Support team has been in contact with students with ties to the region to offer direct support and access to appropriate resources. Any of our international students in need of support can call 1-844-451-9700 or email email@example.com.
TMU strongly condemns all acts of violence, hate and discrimination. We will not tolerate anti-Semitic or anti-Muslim rhetoric or racism of any kind in our community. As this crisis continues to unfold, TMU remains committed to supporting the wellbeing of our community and to our values of equity, diversity and inclusion, encouraging the open exchange of ideas and respectful dialogue on our campus. We stand with the international community in the call for a peaceful resolution.