Internationally Educated Students
Dynamic, creative and driven students from around the globe choose Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU). We offer an education that combines academic rigour with relevant, professional experience in a learning environment that reflects the energy, strength and spirit of Toronto. Our culturally diverse and lively campus includes students from more than 140 countries.
The following are general admission requirements and are subject to change.
Applicants educated outside of Ontario must submit evidence of education equivalent to the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) with six Grade 12 U or M courses. Please note: TMU reserves the right to be the final arbiter of what will be accepted on an equivalency basis.
It is essential that subject prerequisite requirements and grades for specific TMU programs form part of the academic background of applicants from outside Ontario, especially in the last two years of secondary school studies.
Programs may specify non-academic requirements for admission (e.g. portfolio, admission essay, interview, audition, etc.). These programs are referred to as Grades-Plus programs. The specific non-academic requirements for individual Grades-Plus programs, including specific submission dates and procedures, are available by visiting each Program page. Note: for Grades-Plus programs, both academic and non-academic criteria will be used in the admission selection process.
Proof of English Language Proficiency may be required. Visit English Language Requirements for details.
Admission requirements vary by undergraduate program. Applicants who have completed any post-secondary studies should also visit University/College Transfer Students. Please see the applicable documents below to determine your academic admission requirements (subject to change):
Graduation from Grade 12 of an academic program at an accredited secondary school with high academic standing including minimum B grades in the program-specific subject prerequisites and a minimum B overall average. Subject to competition, applicants may be required to present averages/grades above the minimum. In most cases, subject prerequisites should be completed at the AP level and/or Grade 12 senior academic level (some exceptions apply). The high school profile (including accreditation, grading scheme, etc.) must accompany the academic record. While we do not have minimum SAT or ACT score requirements, strong performance on a standardized test can strengthen an application. If SAT or ACT examinations have been written, the results should be submitted. Advanced Placement (AP) examination results will also be considered. AP courses with examination scores of 4 or higher will be considered for transfer credit on an individual basis. Engineering students are not eligible for transfer credits for core and professional engineering courses using AP examinations.
Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) will accept the following for admission consideration:
- GCSE/ IGCSE/ O Level – At least three different subject areas at the GCSE/ IGCSE/ O Level with final grades of at least ‘B/6’ or higher in one subject and 'C/4' or higher in two other subjects
- GCE AS Level – Four different AS Level subjects with predicted and final grades of ‘B’ or better in two subjects and ‘C’ or better in two other subjects
- GCE A Level - Two or more A Level subjects, with predicted and final grades of ‘B’ or higher in one subject and ‘C’ or higher in another subject
Cambridge Pre-University Minimum Requirements:
- The diploma with competitive grades of 'M3' or higher in each Principal Subject. TMU will also consider applicants for certain programs who present a combination of the Pre-U Certificates (Principal Subjects), GCE/A Levels and AS Levels along with IGCSE/GCSE/O Levels.
- Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE) will be considered on an individual basis.
- BTEC Higher Nationals Level 3, BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC) Level 4, and the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) Level 5 will be considered for admission on an individual basis provided the qualifications include sufficient academic content.
- Program-specific subject requirements must be completed or in progress at an appropriate level.
Prerequisite Subject Requirements:
- Applicants are encouraged to present prerequisite subjects at the GCE A Level; however, excellent AS Levels and GCSE/IGCSE/O Levels will be considered (except where noted below).
- English at the GCE A Level or Pre-U Certificate (Principal Subject) is recommended for Journalism and RTA School of Media: Media Production.
- Completion of the GCSE O Level in English as a Second Language with a grade between ‘A/7’-’C/4’ will be considered in order to meet the English prerequisite subject requirement.
- Mathematics at the GCE A Level or Pre-U Certificate (Principal Subject) is recommended for all programs that require Calculus. It is required for Accounting and Finance and all Engineering programs.
- Physics at the A Level or Pre-U Certificate (Principal Subject) is also required for all Engineering programs.
Note: General Paper and/or General Studies are not acceptable.
- GCE A Levels with grades of C or better or Pre-U Certificate (Principal Subjects) with grades of M3 or higher, may be considered for transfer credit on an individual basis.
- No transfer credit is given for AS Levels.
- Engineering students are not eligible for transfer credits for core and professional engineering courses using GCE A Levels or Pre-U Certificate (Principal Subjects).
Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) will accept the Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC) Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) and Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE). The completed CAPE diploma must include a total of at least six individual units with grades of one, two or three. CSEC subjects must be at the General Proficiency level with grades of one, two or three. Subject to competition, applicants may be required to present averages/grades above the minimum. Prerequisites at the CAPE Level are highly recommended. TMU will also consider a preliminary year at the University of the West Indies, Barbados Community College or equivalent in lieu of the CAPE diploma.
CAPE units with grades of three or better may be considered for transfer credit on an individual basis. Engineering students are not eligible for transfer credits for core and professional engineering courses using CAPE units.
- Senior High School (Upper Middle School) Graduation Diploma
- At least five Senior 3 academic courses (including prerequisite subjects)
- Senior High School (Upper Middle School) Graduation examination results (Huikao)
- Chinese National University Entrance Examinations (Gaokao)
Applicants who have not written, or do not intend on writing the Gaokao examination must submit a signed and dated letter providing the reason(s).
Applicants who have written additional examinations (e.g. SAT, ACT, AP, SAT subject-based tests) and who wish to have these considered in the assessment of their application for admission are encouraged to submit their scores. Applicants who have not written these tests or do not submit scores will not be disadvantaged.
If you are a current high school student, you must submit the following via the ChooseTMU applicant portal:
- A current academic transcript showing results for Senior 1, 2 and any Senior 3 mid-term/mid-year results available and the grading scale used.
- A school profile should accompany your transcript, if available.
- Senior High School (Upper Middle School) Graduation examination results (Huikao) if already written.
- A letter indicating the date you will write the Gaokao and proof of registration (if available). If you do not intend on writing the Gaokao examination, you must submit a signed and dated letter providing the reason(s).
- A final, official academic transcript showing Senior 1, 2 and 3 results (and the grading scale used). This official transcript must be sent to us directly by the school.
- The following verification reports via China Credentials Verification (CSSD-Parchment Portal Service, external link, opens in new window):
- Verification Report of China Secondary Education Certificate (proof of graduation)
- Verification Report of China High School Academic Proficiency Test (Huikao) Results
- Verification Report of China College Admission Examination Scores (Gaokao) (if written)
If you are currently enrolled in, or previously completed studies at a college or university, you must submit the following:
- Final secondary school transcript and verification reports as listed above.
- Academic transcript(s) from the college/university you have attended.
- China Higher Education Certification Report issued by China Credentials Verification (CSSD-Parchment Portal Service, external link, opens in new window)
Note for students that have attended:
- Private international high schools for international and Chinese students
- International divisions within public schools
- International high schools for international students
Students that have attended the school types listed above must present:
- A Chinese high school diploma recognized by the Chinese ministry/municipal department of education; and/or
- Proof of graduation from an accredited international curriculum/school with permission to operate in China.
Toronto Metropolitan University will not accept standardized test scores (e.g. SAT/ACT) in lieu of the above requirements.
Baccalauréat/Baccalauréat Général/Option Internationale du Baccalauréat/Diplôme de Bachelier de l’Enseignement du Second Degré. Applicants will be considered for admission on their ‘bulletins’ (with results out of 20) in Première and Terminale or, if already completed, on their final Baccalauréat results. An overall average of 11 or higher in Première and Terminale and 11 or higher in each subject prerequisite will be considered. Admission is competitive and subject to space availability. Higher grades may be required.
Applicants who have completed the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma must present grades of 4 or higher in three Higher Level and three Standard Level subjects, including prerequisite subjects, and a total score of 28 or higher (bonus points will be accepted).
Applicants currently enrolled in IB studies must provide predicted results from their school (bonus points will not be considered during our assessment of predicted results).
Subject to competition, applicants may be required to present a total score above the minimum.
The IB certificate and IB Career-related Programme (IBCP) cannot be used in lieu of the high school diploma requirement.
IB Higher Levels with grades of 5 or higher may be considered for transfer credit on an individual basis. Engineering students are not eligible for transfer credits for core and professional engineering courses using IB subjects.
Toronto Metropolitan University will accept the All India Senior School Certificate Examination (awarded by CBSE) or the Indian School Certificate (awarded by CISCE). Students presenting Class/Standard XII State Board Exams (Higher Secondary School Certificate, Intermediate Examination Certificate, Pre-University Examinations Certificate) with high standing will also be considered for admission.
Toronto Metropolitan University will accept the Lise Bitirme Diplomasi/Devlet Lise Diplomasi/French Baccalaureate with a strong overall average and strong results in each of the subject prerequisites. Applicants must include the specific subject requirements for the program(s) to which they are applying in their final year of study. Grades required for admission vary by program and level of competition.