You are now in the main content area

How to Make a Request for Correction of your Personal Information in a University Record

A request to correct personal information can be made after you are given access to the information.  If you believe there is an error or omission in your personal information contained in a University record you may, under section 47(2) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, request correction of the information. 

Please  note  that  requests  for  correction  can  only  be  made  for  factual  personal information.   Opinions about you such as evaluative comments or assessments are personal information but are not facts about you.  It is not possible to correct or annotate opinions.  If you disagree with an evaluation or assessment you may speak with the evaluator about it or write a letter to the head of the department or office responsible for the information disputing the evaluation or assessment and ask that your statement of disagreement be linked to the evaluation.   Only factual information can be corrected under FIPPA, not subjective opinions. 

The University’s procedure for making a request is outlined below. 

Step 1.   

Make your request for correction to the head of the department or office that has custody or control of your personal information.   Be prepared to present identification to validate who you are.  Explain the reasons for your request and provide, when necessary, the factual information that is missing or that proves the information on file is incorrect.  Most information is corrected through an informal process using regular procedures. 

Step 2.   

In rare cases, a department might refuse to: 

  • Correct the information
  • Attach to the information your statement of disagreement about the correction that you requested but which was not made
  • Notify any person or body to whom your personal information was disclosed within the year before you made your request 

If this happens, submit your signed request in writing, either delivering it by hand or mailing it to the Privacy Officer, Office of the General Counsel and Secretary of the Board of Governors, Toronto Metropolitan University, 350 Victoria Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5B 2K3.  Requests received by electronic mail are not accepted. ( (PDF file) FIPPA Request Form). 

Step 3.   

Your request must contain: 

  • A description of the specific information to be corrected
  • The location of the information (i.e., the identity of the personal information bank, if applicable, or the University department or office that has custody or control of the record(s) containing your personal information)
  • The correction you want made
  • The reason(s) for the correction 

A clearly defined request will greatly assist the University to search, locate and retrieve the personal information and answer your request quickly. The University may ask you to present yourself in person to the appropriate department with one piece of picture ID or provide other proof of identity. 

Step 4.   

If  you  are  unable  to  provide  sufficient  detail  to  describe  the personal information you wish corrected, contact the Privacy Officer at or call  416-979-5000  ext.  553516 for help formulating your request. 

Step 5.   

When the University reaches a decision you will be notified in writing that either the correction was made or your request was refused.  The letter will explain in detail the university's decision. 

Step 6.   

If your request for correction is granted the University will delete the original, incorrect information and replace it with the correct information that you requested.  If your request for correction is refused the University will annotate the information with the correction that you requested or your statement of disagreement.   Either will be attached or linked to your personal information and the original information will remain on the record. 

Step 7.   

If you are not satisfied with the University's decision to refuse to correct your personal information, you have thirty days (30) from the date of the University's decision letter to request a review by Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner.