All research involving humans, conducted by or with faculty, staff or students affiliated with Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly known as Ryerson University), must be reviewed and approved by the university's Research Ethics Board (REB) prior to commencement of the study. The university’s research policies, including PDF fileSenate Policy #51, opens in new window – Policy on Research Involving Human Participants – and research ethics procedures, adhere to the federal guidelines of the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS 2), external link, opens in new window.
The REB recommends that all prospective applicants register and take the TCPS online tutorial, external link, opens in new window to become familiar with the TCPS 2 guidelines. Completion of the TCPS 2 online tutorial is a requirement for all students. All students must complete the tutorial before submission of the online application for ethics approval.
No research involving human participants shall be undertaken without the prior approval of the Research Ethics Board (REB).
Application Information and Instructions
The Online Ethics Protocol Submission and Review System is a form-based web application system. Please note some of the basic features and constraints of the system:
- The system allows you to save your application and complete it at a later time.
- There are stated character limits for many fields.
- Documents may be attached to the system, so if responses exceed the stated character limits, refer to the document names of the attached files.
- Text may be copied and pasted into the application forms from other existing documents.
All applications for ethics review of research involving humans must be submitted via the Online Ethics Protocol Submission and Review System, which can be accessed through your my.ryerson, opens in new window account (name change in progress).
Note: The initial response time is typically five to six weeks from the date of original submission.
Once you log into your my.ryerson account, you may access the system by selecting the "Online Ethics Submission and Review System" option, which can be found in the "Research Ethics" box under the "my.ryerson" tab.
For all graduate student applicants, the REB requires that protocols are first reviewed and approved by their faculty supervisors in all graduate programs.
(REB) Research Guidelines and Templates
Ethics Guidelines and Templates
- PDF fileGuiding Questions to Determine Whether Your Research Requires Ethics Approval, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines for Activities Requiring REB Review, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines for Managing Real, Potential, and Perceived Conflicts of Interest, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines for Research Involving Indigenous Peoples in Canada, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines on Anonymity and Confidentiality in Research, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines for Incentives, Reimbursements and Compensation, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines for Recruitment of Research Participants, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines for Obtaining Consent and Assent, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines for Research Involving Social Media, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines for Internet-Based Research, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines for Supervising and Reviewing Undergraduate Research, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines for Conducting Autoethnographic Research, opens in new window
- PDF fileSupplemental Information and Suggestions for Applications Recruiting from the TRSM Research Pool, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines for Continuing Review of Ongoing Research, opens in new window
- PDF fileGuidelines to Reporting Unanticipated and Adverse Issues, opens in new window
- PDF fileReporting Child Abuse and Neglect: It's Your Duty, opens in new window
- word fileREB COVID-19 Consent Form Template, opens in new window
Students as Participants in Research
The following provides information for research involving student participants: