You are now in the main content area

Tax Receipts (T2202 & T4A)

T2202 and T4A tax receipts for the most recent tax year (January - December) become available on MyServiceHub in the fourth week of February.

The following official receipts for income tax purposes are available for download from MyServiceHub, if applicable: 

  • T2202 Tuition, Education & Textbook Amounts Certificate: statement of the tuition and fees paid for qualifying courses that are eligible for claim on the income tax return.
  • T4A Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income: statement of scholarships, bursaries, awards or other income as defined by CRA that were provided by Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) to a student.    

For further information, please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency (external link) .

Receipts for the previous calendar year (January - December) at Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) are usually available starting the fourth week in February. They can be accessed in the Student Fees section of the Student Center on MyServiceHub.   

Note that total tuition fees paid, rather than total tuition fees assessed, are reported on T2202s.  If you paid a partial tuition amount for the previous tax year, see What if I paid a partial tuition amount?

If you are an international student, please also visit International Support Tax Services.

If you were employed by the university, you can access your T4 (Statement of Remuneration Paid) from eHR (opens in new window) .

Tax Receipt FAQs

General Tax Receipt FAQs

You can obtain print your T2202 and/or T4A from the Student Center in MyServiceHub.

  • T2202 receipts are prepared for all students who have paid more than $100 in eligible fees for courses beginning and ending in a particular calendar year. Certain administrative and ancillary fees are not eligible for tax deduction.
  • T4A receipts are prepared for all students who received a scholarship, bursary or award in a calendar year.

If you are a former student and are having difficulty accessing MyServiceHub, contact the CCS Help Desk for login assistance.

The T2202 and/or T4A are not mailed to you. These are available online through the self-service options on your MyServiceHub (opens in new window) .  

MyServiceHub (opens in new window)  is your personalized access to web services. When you log in you will find information and services specific to your role at TMU.

Students are not required to submit a printed copy of the T2202 and/or T4A receipt(s) with their tax return, even if the T2202 credits are transferred to a parent. A printed copy is only required when requested by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as part of a formal audit.

You can use your tax receipt(s) even if the address is incorrect. Remember that it is not necessary for students to submit the T2202 form with the tax return, but they must produce it if requested by Revenue Canada. We strongly suggest that you keep your address updated on MyServiceHub (opens in new window) .

If you feel that the information on your tax receipts is incorrect, please review the information on this page to understand what is reported on the tax receipts. Also note that:

  • Receipts are issued based on the calendar year (January through December), and not the academic year.
  • Certain administrative and ancillary fees, such as student union and health and dental fees, are not eligible to be included on the T2202.
  • The T2202 reflects fees paid, rather than the fees accessed.

If after reviewing this information you feel that your receipt(s) are incorrect, please contact the ServiceHub.

Tax slips remain accessible via your Student Center on MyServiceHub account for a minimum of seven years. Former students can continue to access MyServiceHub via (opens in new window) . If you have difficulty accessing, contact the CCS Help Desk for assistance.

Unfortunately we cannot. In-depth questions regarding the use of the tax receipts in the tax preparation process should be directed to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) (external link, opens in new window) . Tax guides are available from any CRA office or Canada Post Office. CRA also publishes a booklet called "Students & Income Tax" - Government form P105 (E) (external link, opens in new window) .

No, not even your parents can obtain confidential information without your written consent. TMU gathers and maintains information used for purposes of admission, registration and other fundamental activities related to being a member of the university community and to attending a public post-secondary institution in Ontario. The policy regarding the release of information about students is intended to protect the individual student's right to privacy and the confidentiality of his or her record. Personal Information Protection Guidelines and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) govern access to confidential information at TMU.

TMU does not have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). TMU's federal school code is G10720, and the Office of Post-Secondary Education Identification Number (OPE ID) is 0107200.

Effective January 2019, all post-secondary institutions in Canada are required to collect students' Social Insurance Numbers (SIN), and include this information on tuition tax receipts (T2202). For more information please refer to the CRA website (external link, opens in new window) .

You can securely report your Social Insurance Number (SIN) online via MyServiceHub. You only need to provide your SIN once. Your SIN will only be used for tax purposes.

If you have not provided your SIN as part of your student record, you must submit your SIN by following the steps below:

  1. Log in to MyServiceHub ( (opens in new window) 
  2. Within your Student Center, locate the Academics Heading. Select the "Your SIN is required" link
  3. In the SIN box, enter your nine-digit SIN
  4. Click the "SAVE" button. Once you click this button, a confirmation will appear saying your SIN has been updated

T2202 Tax Receipt FAQs

  • Certificate and Degree/Diploma credit course: Students will receive a T2202 and may claim the eligible tuition fees amount and the number of months.
  • Degree/Diploma credit course: Students will receive a T2202 and may claim the eligible tuition fees amount and the number of months.
  • Certificate Credit course: Students will receive a T2202 and may claim the eligible tuition fees but the number of months are not eligible for claim as it is not a credit course that can be applied towards a post secondary degree or diploma.
  • Course series course: These courses are not eligible for a T2202.
    • Examples are: general interest courses, workshops, seminars.
  • Intensive courses: Permitting these courses are certificate and/or degree credit courses and are at least 39 hours in duration, the tuition is tax eligible, however the enrolment status will be left blank as the course is less than three weeks in duration. 

The total amount of tuition fees paid may not necessarily correspond to your T2202 because not all tuition and related fees are tax deductible.

Fees that are not eligible include TMSU, TMAPS, parking, residence and meal plans, TMSU Health & Dental, program and select ancillary fees, material fees, co-op, goods of lasting value that you keep (such as a computer, uniform or tools) and certain other administrative fees.

The total amount of tuition fees paid may not necessarily correspond to your T2202 because not all tuition and related fees are tax deductible.

TMU is required to make the T2202 available to the student directly. Students must use the T2202 on their own return until the Federal Tax payable is reduced to zero. At this point the student may transfer the balance of the credit to their parent using the information on the T2202 related to the transferring of the unused credit as per the Income Tax Act.

In addition to claiming eligible tuition and related fees, students are eligible to claim amounts based on the number of months respective to their status as part-time or full-time. The university must first and foremost recognize the student's academic career as part-time or full-time before they are assessed appropriately.

  • Full time students enrolled in ten or more course hours per week for three consecutive weeks in a month
  • Part time students enrolled in less than ten hours per week for three consecutive weeks in a month

As per the Income Tax Act, students may not combine receipts from institutions to meet the minimum eligible fee.

Parents may choose to claim Sports/Summer camps as day care, and should use the receipt(s) provided at the time of registration for their child (children). Summer camps do not qualify as tuition and a T2202 receipt will not be produced for them.

Effective 2020, educational institutions report total tuition paid on T2202 forms (external link) , rather than total tuition fees assessed. As a result, students who have paid partial tuition will have that partial amount reflected on their tax form.

An updated T2202 will be automatically issued via MyServiceHub after you make a payment toward these overdue charges. For details, see What if I make a payment after my T2202 is released?

The T2202 is populated using tuition payments for fees owing to the previous calendar year that are posted to MyServiceHub by February 1 of the current calendar year.

Payments made after February 1 are updated on the T2202 during a six-week amendment period from March 15 to May 1. If payments have been made towards fees from the previous calendar year after February 1, T2202 forms are updated to reflect the tuition fees paid. Amended forms are submitted on the first day of the month and the fifteenth day of the month (or the first business day following those dates). They are then reuploaded to MyServiceHub. In January of each year, a final T2202 amendment file will be submitted to the Canada Revenue Agency for tuition payments that are made after the March 15 to May 1 amendment period of the previous calendar year.

For example: if you made a payment on April 5, you will have access to an updated T2202 tax form by the end of the business day on April 15. The form will be available in your Student Center within MyServiceHub and you may access it at any time. Keep in mind that payments are not instantly received. It can take three to five business days for payments to appear on your student account.

When the T2202 is first released, it is a reflection of your student account as of February 1. If you have updated your SIN after that time, your T2202 will be updated on the following 1st and/or 15th of each month (or the first business day following those dates) and re-uploaded to MyServiceHub if any changes have been made to your SIN.

For example: if you updated your SIN on April 5, you will have access to an updated T2202 tax form by the end of the business day on April 15. The form will be available in your Student Center within MyServiceHub and you may access it at any time.  

Depending on the length of time you remained enrolled in your course(s), fees stemming from dropped course(s) may be excluded from your T2202.

You must remain enrolled in your course(s) for a minimum of three consecutive weeks in order for course(s) to be included on your T2202 form.

T4A Tax Receipt FAQs

The tuition waiver/rebate program is offered to employees of TMU, however the T4A is issued in the name of the student.

No. Money received through OSAP and the National Student Loan Service Centre will not appear on a student’s T4A. Only funding which has been provided by TMU to the student will be included.

If you received OSAP, you can access your OSAP tax receipts by logging into your National Student Loan Service Centre (external link, opens in new window)  account.

The T4A is based on the tax year (January to December) and not the school year.

Your T4A will reflect the date your funds were disbursed, not the term that they were issued.  For example, if you received a $1,000 entrance scholarship on your offer of admission, $500 would be disbursed to the fall term and $500 to the winter term.  As a result, the $500 dispersed to the winter term would be reported on the tax slip for the following tax year.

No. Your T4 Statement of Remuneration Paid is a record of your employment income and the amount of tax which was deducted. Employees who consented to receive this electronically will be able to download a copy of their T4A receipt from eHR during the third week of February. If consent was not provided, these are mailed to the address listed in their eHR account. More information can be found on the Human Resources website.