Community Consultation/Research (#1006)
This simulation was developed in collaboration with the Daily Bread Food Bank.
Using the Participatory Action Research/Peer Research Model, community researchers were engaged to conduct an important People’s Review of the province’s social assistance system.
Simulated characters were created to reflect some of the possible community peers they would need to interview.
- Practice active listening skills
- Focusing the interviewee
- Encouraging dialogue
- Dealing with inappropriate comments
- Dealing with barriers to communication
Information for Learners
You are a community researcher needing to conduct interviews within your community to provide up-to-date information about the impact of how social assistance is delivered in the province. The overarching goal o the project is to achieve tangible changes in social assistance that lead to income security while developing your skills and capacity as researchers.
All characters are on social assistance:
- Peter, has health problems and problematic history with the system
- Cindy, a recent immigrant who has been abandoned by husband
- Stephen, living on the street with mental health and addiction issues
- Community Researcher
- As determined by the research project
- Research Support
- Employment and Business