Abuse by a Family Member - Immigrants to Canada (#212)
A frightened woman with no support network is being abused by a family member. Disclosing the abuse may jeopardize the family’s legal status in Canada.
- Listening skills (attending, restating, reflecting and supporting)
- Developing trust
- Maintaining objectivity
- Ensuring safety
- Responding to non-verbal cues
Information for Learners
A distraught woman, Rhudia Letkha, has asked to speak with a counsellor at the local community health centre near her two daughters' school. she is here to discuss concerns about her daughter, Khatia, who has been recently demonstrating disruptive behaviour.
- Rhudia Letkha, mid-thirties to early forties, immigrant to Canada
Note: This scenario can be adapted for any ethnicity.
- Counsellor at a community health centre
- Community Health Centre Counseling Office
- Adolescence and Family Relations
- Marriage and Relationships
- Diversity Equity Inclusion
- Health Care
- Mental Health