LGBTQ Youth - Risk Factors They Face (#800)
Derek struggles with life as he learns about his sexuality. Harassment, drugs, and loneliness wreak havoc on his performance in school and his ability to make intelligent decisions.
Jessica, a queer student, has been called to the guidance office to discuss her declining academic performance and harassment she endured in the hallways.
- Listening skills
- Responding to non-verbal cues
- Demonstrating empathy
- Building trust
- Creating a safe environment
Information for Learners
Derek has been asked to make an appointment with a counsellor as teachers are concerned about his absences and declining grades. The counsellor is aware of rumours that Derek came out about two months ago.
Jessica finds herself in the guidance office. Some of her teachers are concerned about her erratic attendance and declining school performance. She has reluctantly agreed to see a counsellor if only to get everyone off her back. There have also been a few incidents in the hall – name calling and shouting matches. Her marks are also beginning to jeopardize her post-secondary options.
- Option 1: Derek Simpson (between sixteen and eighteen)
- Option 2: Jessica Burns (seventeen)
- High School Social Worker
- High School Guidance Office
- Community Counselling Centre
- Adolescence and Family Relations
- Diversity Equity Inclusion
- Mental Health