You are now in the main content area

Current Student FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions page banner

On this page: Academic standings, Chang School/summer courses, minors, switching modules, reading transfer credit and advisement reports, and more.

Have a question? For all academic-related inquiries, email Kaitlyn and Lauren at

What are academic accommodations?

Academic Accommodation Support (AAS) (opens in new window)  works with any student enrolled at the university who requires academic disability accommodation, regardless of program or course load.

After registering, AAS will develop a planned variation or modification in the way a student with a disability receives course curriculum and materials, participates in course and non-course degree requirements, and is evaluated and assessed, in order to acquire and demonstrate the essential academic requirements needed to successfully meet the learning objectives of a course or program. The goal is to provide equal access to education. 

Students with disabilities receive individualized academic accommodation plans based on the functional limitations resulting from disability impacts . Accommodation plans are outlined in the student’s accommodation letter. Disability accommodation is a protected ground as per the Ontario Human Rights Code.

Are academic accommodations right for me?

You are eligible to register with AAS if you are a student with disabilities who experiences barriers to accessing your education or participating in their studies. 

 TIP! To understand if Academic Accommodation Support or an Academic Consideration Request is right for you,  (PDF file) see this flowchart.


How do I register with AAS?

To register with Academic Accommodation Support (AAS), visit the AAS Website or email Documentation is needed to register with AAS.

The AAS registration period ends before final exams each semester. Visit the AAS Website to review the deadlines.

Once registered with AAS, students are responsible for sending their accommodation plans to their course instructors via the AAS Student Portal each semester and requesting to use their accommodations when needed.

What is an Academic Consideration Request (ACR)?

Any full-time or part-time undergraduate student who is currently enrolled in courses at Toronto Metropolitan University can submit a request for academic consideration with documentation (and in limited circumstances once per term without documentation), when they experience extenuating circumstances that have a significant impact on their ability to fulfill an academic requirement (e.g., their ability to attend classes, write a scheduled term test or exam, and/or meet an assignment deadline).

To learn more about Academic Consideration Requests and what circumstances qualify, click here.

How do I submit an Academic Consideration Request (ACR)?

To submit an ACR, please visit this page.

Is an Academic Consideration Request right for me?

To understand if an Academic Consideration Request or Academic Accommodation Support is right for you,  (PDF file) see this flowchart.


Academic Standings (Clear, Probation, RTW)

The university will assign your 'Academic Standing' at the end of each term.   You standing is based on your cumulative grade point average.  

Student CGPA

As per the Probationary Contract site, if a student obtains a CGPA of:

  • Over 1.67: a student can continue in their program, unconditionally.
  • Between 1.00 and 1.66: a student is put on probation and a plan of study must be set for continuing in the next term.
  • Below 1.00: a student is Required to Withdraw (RTW) unless they are a new student to Ryerson and in their first term (fall). In this case the student’s standing is set to Probationary.

If you find yourself on Probation or Required To Withdraw, you will be notified. Don't panic!

Read our website's detailed FAQs for Creative Industries students regarding academic standings (Clear, Probation, Required to Withdraw).  Trust me, it will help.

As always, if you have any questions, just ask (


You must notify your instructor(s) or the teaching or program department as soon as circumstances arise that can impact your academic performance. It is also your responsibility to try to resolve all course related issues with the instructor as soon as they occur and then, if needed, with the Chair/Director of the teaching department/school. Failure to do so may jeopardize an appeal.

 Steps to take before submitting an appeal:

  1. Informal Resolution
    • During a semester, you may encounter issues that impact your academic performance. Whenever possible and prior to initiating a grade appeal, you should attempt to resolve all grade-related issues informally through communication with your instructor(s). If you are unable to resolve the situation with your instructor(s), or if you are unable to reach them, contact the Chair or Director of the department/school that offers the course (the teaching department/School). 
  2. Grade Reassessment (for issues related to individual assignment grades)
    • You can request to have a graded course component reassessed if you believe that the grade does not reflect the academic merit of your work, or you can request a recalculation if you believe an error or omission has been made in the calculation of grades. Your requests for a grade reassessment must be based on sufficient academic grounds and be supported by evidence and documentation (e.g. from the course outline, course notes, textbooks, assignment grade rubric). 
    • To request a grade reassessment, you should contact your instructor within ten (10) business days of the date when the graded work in question is returned to the class, or when the grade on the work is posted. Grades not questioned within this period may not be reassessed.
    • For work graded during the final week of classes, or during the exam period, there might not be an opportunity to review the work with the instructor prior to the assignment of a final grade in the course. In that case, you should contact the instructor about the work as soon as possible, and usually within ten (10) business days from the date that grades and standing are available to students on MyServiceHub.
    • For detailed information on grade reassessment procedures, refer to Policy 162 on Grade Reassessment and Grade Recalculation (opens in new window) .

 There are two types of appeals:

  1. Grade Appeals: must be submitted to the School that offers the course being appealed (the teaching department/school). All grade appeals for Chang School courses must be submitted to The Chang School. 
  2. Academic Standing Appeals: must be submitted to your program/School. 

 Grounds of Appeal:

  • Extenuating Circumstances
  • Prejudice 
  • Procedural Error
  • Course Management (may be considered as grounds for grade appeal but not Academic Standing appeals). 

Refer to Policy 168: Grade and Standing Appeals (opens in new window)  for detailed definitions of these grounds.

 There are three levels of appeals:

  1. Department Level: Students who wish to appeal the decision of the Department/School must do so to the Dean of the Faculty. 
  2. Faculty Level: Students who wish to appeal the decision of the Faculty must do so to the Senate Appeals Committee.
  3. Senate Level: Decisions of the Senate Appeals Committee are final and may not be appealed.

Appeal Resources on Campus

Appeals forms, instructions, Policy, and Code of Conduct are available from the Senate.

It is recommended that you seek assistance and advice when filing an appeal. For advice on your appeal, please contact the following:

For advice concerning an appeal on the grounds of discrimination:

Human Rights Services
(416) 979-5349

Academic Appeals Submission Procedure

Effective the Winter 2020 term, undergraduate students enrolled in an undergraduate program wishing to appeal their standing in their program, and/or to appeal a grade received in courses taught in any Faculty (with the exception of Faculty of Law and Graduate Studies), are to use the online appeals system to submit their request. 

Once you submit an academic appeal through the online system, the relevant decision-maker, Student Records and the Senate Office will receive a notification through their Ryerson e-mail. The decision-maker will be able to assess the merits of your appeal and submit their decision through the administrative online system. When their decision is issued, you, Student Records, the Senate Office and other relevant stakeholders will be notified through their Ryerson email of the decision.

Detailed instructions regarding submission, resources on academic appeals and access to the submission portal can be found here.  If you have any questions or concerns, please contact

External Links:

words "Ready to Graduate?" against an orange background

Don't forget to apply to graduate! 🎓

Current: Graduate from the Spring/Summer 2023 terms with a Fall 2023 Convocation

Apply before July 31st, 2023 for free!

Applications received between August 1st, 2023 and August 15th, 2023 are subject to a $50 fee.

Applications received August 16th, 2023 onward will not be processed.

Review your academic progress-to-date to determine if you are nearing completion of all of the requirements for graduation. Your Academic Advisement Report (opens in new window)  will provide complete details of your progress.

Do not wait for final grades of your final program courses to apply to graduate. 

More information can be found on the Curriculum Advising Website here.

Taking courses through The Chang School for Continuing Education

Any course that fulfills a lower or upper level Liberal Studies requirement indicates that right in the course description on The Chang School website.

Example: "This course examines the development of societies in the Caribbean from the intrusion of European explorers and settlers c.1492 to the dismantling of the slave systems in the 19th century, and beyond to issues, such as independence, affecting the region in modern times. (Lower-level liberal studies elective)"

You can also check the various tables to see if the Chang school course you plan to take can be used to satisfy that specific area. If it's listed, it fulfills that area! 

Courses take through the Chang School start with a ‘C’.  For example, PSY 999 becomes CPSY 999.  

 NOTE: The significant dates and tuition cost of courses run by The Chang School are different from TMU. Make sure to carefully read through the terms and deadlines on the Chang School's Important Dates and Fees pages. 

Use the images below to help you search for courses.

Step One: Click the "Courses and Programs" tab

Step One: Click the "Courses and Programs" tab

Step Two: Click the "Course Search" option

Step Two: Click the "Course Search" option

Step Three: Under "Course Category," select the correct credit type

Step Three: Under "Course Category," select the correct credit type. Ex. Liberal Studies - Lower Level

Step Four: Under "Term," select the appropriate term of study

Step Four: Under "Term," select the appropriate term of study. Ex. 2022-2023 - Fall 2022

Step Five: Click "Search" to see all results

Step Five: Click "Search" to see all results

Course full?

Here's some advice on what to do if the course you want is full.

Remember that, once the enrolment period begins, you have the exact same access to courses that we do. There is no magic backdoor; if a course is full, we cannot get you in. It's not that we don't want to help you, it's that we can't help you.

So here is what we suggest you do:

 Select a Backup Course

Look to see if there is an alternative course you can take. If it's a Liberal Studies, Open Elective, Table I (CRI), Table II (Module), or Table III (Business) course, look to see what alternative course options are running in that term. Be as flexible as you can.

It is always best to get into a backup course and then switch out if a space opens up in the course that you want, rather than run the risk of being left with no course at all. 

 Waitlists

Not all courses offer a waitlist option, but a lot do! If there is a waitlist, get yourself on to it, and as people drop the course, you will move up the list.

Make sure you understand how waitlists work, as every year people try to put themselves onto a waitlist for a course that they are already in!

Waitlists are not for swapping sections - they are there to help students get into a course they are NOT yet in. 

Waitlist Info

Can’t Add a Course During Course Intentions?

Some courses are "flagged" (i.e. off limits) for some programs. For example, a PSY or RTA course may be restricted to Psychology or RTA students for the Course Intentions period. The University will make sure all programs that require the course have first enrolment.  

Only once those students are all in, will any remaining spots become available for general enrolment. This typically happens during the ‘Open Enrollment Period’.

 TIP! My advice, add a "back-up" Liberal Studies/Open Elective. You can then 'swap' out if the back-up course if the one you really want becomes available.

Current Exam Schedule general graphic

Exam Information

Fall 2023 Exam Period
Wed, December 6th to Sun, December 17th, 2023
Saturday and Sunday exams included.

Can I move my exams?

The final  (PDF file) examination policy (opens in new window)  allows a student to move an exam in a conflict or overload situation.

What is an example of a conflict and overload?

Conflicts are easy: two exams at the same time. Overloads are three final exams on the same day, or three consecutive exam sessions, including The Chang School exams. The usual exam sessions are on the exam website.

Glossary Terms

Don't know your "Advanced Standing" from your "Academic Standing"?

Can't quite figure out what "Departmental Permission Required" means, or the difference between a "Prerequisite" and a "Corequisite"?!

That's okay, you are not alone!

 (PDF file) Glossary of Common Terms

Holds on Student Account

There are various reasons why you may have a hold on your account. 

  • Fees
  • Departmental Withhold
  • Disciplinary, Academic Integrity 
  • Academic Integrity Office
  • Exceed Timespan
  • No Refund
  • Security
  • Student Care, Student Conduct

Please visit the Account Holds page for descriptions and contact information.

International Student Support

International Student Support, supports international students by offering individual assistance, orientation programs, information sessions, and networking events.

Some other support they provide include:

  • New Arrivals
  • Immigration
  • Financial Assistance
  • Health & Wellness
  • Working in Canada (during your degree and after with a PGWP)

ISS also hosts events and workshops (opens in new window)  year-round. This includes:

  • Informational sessions (ex. Immigration Insights)
  • Support groups (ex. English Conversation groups and writing and study support)
  • Fun events (ex. movie nights, cultural and religious celebrations, etc.)

You can also reach out to an ISS team member via for more information about their services. 

Language Class Assessments

Any student that wishes to take a language class at TMU for the first time must take a placement test.

You can also contact Languages, Literatures and Cultures, Faculty of Arts.

The images reads "How to decipher the difference between a lecture, a tutorial, and a lab."

Lecture vs. Tutorial: Classes explained!

LECTURE: Depending on the size of the program you are in, there could be anywhere from 15 to 500 students in a lecture. The instructor may incorporate presentations, guest speakers, group participation and many other classroom techniques that encourage student engagement.

TUTORIAL: Many lectures may have a tutorial scheduled at a different time than the lecture. This breaks down the larger class into smaller groups and encourages discussion and participation. Tutorials may be run by the instructor or by a Teaching Assistant (TA) or Graduate Assistant (GA).

LABORATORY (labs): Some programs may have labs where you work either individually or in a small group to learn and experiment with the course material in a hands-on environment. In many cases labs are mandatory. Please ensure that you check the course outline or speak to your instructor for details.

SEMINAR: These are often used in graduate courses and are small in nature to encourage a great degree of class participation and class presentations.

STUDIO: Some programs may have studio classes in which you execute a design or production related to your field.

Liberal Studies

Having trouble adding a liberal studies course you know is being offered?

Unfortunately, just because a course is listed on the Liberal Studies Table, or the Open Elective Table does not guarantee that you will be able to take it.

Some courses are "flagged" (i.e. off limits) for some programs.  For example a PSY course may be restricted to Psychology or Nursing students. The university will make sure all programs requiring the course, have first refusal.  

Only once those students are all in, will any remaining spots become available for general enrolment. This typically happens during the ‘Open Enrollment Period’.

 TIP! My advice, add a "back-up" Liberal Studies/Open Elective. You can then 'swap' out if the back-up course if the one you really want becomes available.

Does this course satisfy a Liberal Studies requirement? 

If you wish to know whether a course satisfies a Liberal Studies requirement, you can simply look to see if it is listed on the Lower and Upper Liberal Studies Tables.

All Chang School courses that fulfill Liberal Studies requirements say so right in the course description, which can be found on the Chang website. 

Example: " the end of this course, students will be able to read and write simple sentences and to talk about subjects related to family, studies, and social environment". (Lower-level liberal studies elective)

For more information regarding Liberal Studies courses, please visit the Faculty of Arts' Liberal Studies page.


You can view a full list of Minor options, as well as the policy governing them (Policy 2, Section 7.4) in the 2023/24 Undergraduate Calendar.

 NOTE: There are a number of rules regarding Minors. Make sure you read over the rules and requirements carefully as you are responsible for its successful completion.

There are also FAQ's on the Curriculum Advising Office website which you will hopefully find useful.

Double Counting Courses

 Can I double-count courses for my major and minor? Yes! If you decide to pursue a minor, it's possible that some courses can "double-count" for both your Creative Industries degree and your minor of choice.

Example 1) If you have taken SOC 103 as part of your Lower Level Liberal studies, you can also count this towards the SOC 103 requirement for the Sociology minor.

Example 2) If you have taken THF 101, THF 200, and THA 340 as part of your Table II > Acting/Dance Studies Module, you can also count this towards those requirements for the Acting/Dance Studies minor. 

While it is possible to have many courses double-count between your CI degree and minor/s, please be mindful that you might not be able to do so for all of the courses in the minor. You may need to take courses that are extraneous to the Creative Industries degree requirements in order to fulfill the minor requirements. 

 I'm not pursuing a minor. Can I still double-count within my degree if I see a course show up in two different tables? No. Double counting courses within the B.A Creative Industries degree is not permitted. What this means is you cannot try to use a course towards more than one table within the degree. 

Example 1) If you have taken CRI 550 for your Table II > Publishing and Printing Module, you cannot also use this course to satisfy a Table I (CRI) requirement.  

Example 2) If you are taking CMN 315 as part of your Table II > Communication Studies Module, you cannot also use CMN 315 to satisfy an Open Elective Table requirement.

The easiest way is to think of your B.A Creative Industries in terms of total courses.  

 Students Admitted Fall 2021 or Prior

Of the 42 credits required for your degree, you need:

  • 16 required/core courses (CRI100, BSM200, ACC340 or CRI640, etc.)
  • 3 x Lower Level Liberal Studies courses 
  • 3 x Upper Level Liberal Studies courses 
  • a minimum of 2 x Table I courses, 
  • 4 x Table I or Open Elective courses,
  • 12 x Table II (Creative Content Module) courses. (Six from Module A, and six from Module B)
  •  2 x Table III (Business courses), by the time you apply to graduate.   

 Students Admitted Fall 2022 and After

Of the 40 credits required for your degree, you need:

  • 16 required/core courses (CRI100, BSM200, CRI460, etc.)
  • 3 x Lower Level Liberal Studies courses 
  • 3 x Upper Level Liberal Studies courses 
  • a minimum of 2 x Table I courses, 
  • 4 x Table I or Open Elective courses,
  • 10 x Table II (Creative Content Module) courses. (Five from Module A, and five from Module B)

You can refer to the full 2022-2023 Undergraduate Calendar degree requirements for details.

Short-Term vs. Permanent Withdrawals

A student may wish to (voluntarily) temporarily withdraw from their program of studies for either the current academic term or for future academic term(s) due to financial, health, personal, academic or other reasons. This is callled a 'Short-term Withdrawal'.

Students can withdraw for up to 12 months / 3 consecutive terms at any one time.

The final deadline to submit a Short Term Withdrawal Request can be found in the Significant Dates section of the current Undergraduate Calendar.

If you no longer would like to remain in the Creative Industries program, please submit a Permanent Withdrawal request.

 NOTE: Once a permanent withdrawal has been submitted, it cannot be reversed. If you decide to rejoin the program, you will be required to apply for program reinstatement. 

Switching Modules

You are welcome to change your module/s at any time during your academic career provided you meet the requirements for the new module you have elected to pursue.

In most cases, courses you took towards a previous module can be used towards your Open Electives (provided you have not yet satisfied them).

To change your module during the Course Intentions or Course Enrolment periods, simply SWAP the module course/s you've selected under your previous module with the new module course/s you wish to take. This is all done via MyServiceHub.

You can view the exact dates of the Course Intention Periods, and the Enrollment Periods via the Undergraduate Calendar > Significant Dates page.

Please note that you will not be able to make changes to your semester schedule outside of the special enrollment periods.

Once you have successfully enrolled into your new module course, please send us an email at to let us know so that we can update our records (as we keep track of module numbers internally). 

Please include your namestudent number, your previous module, and your new module.

If you have further questions, just ask! 

Understanding Your Transfer Credit Report

Have you previously complete studies at another institution or TMU undergraduate program? You may be eligible for transfer credits. 

Students from Other Institutions

You will be required to apply for transfer credits upon accepting your Creative Industries program offer. More information can be found on the Transfer Credit - Eligibility page.

Once your transfer credits are processed, you will be able to access the report via MyServiceHub (MyServiceHub > Academics > Transfer Credit Report). You can learn how to read the results on the Understand Your Transfer Credit Report page. 

Students from Another TMU Program

Joining us from another program at the University? You do not need to apply for transfer credits. Once an active CI student, review your Advisement Report to see how your previous credits can apply towards your new degree.

 NOTE: Not all courses eligible for transfer may be applied towards your CI degree requirements. Please review the 2022-2023 Creative Industries curriculum for a full list of requirements