Applying to the Student Initiatives Fund
SIF Winter 2024 Dates:
The SIF Application Portal is open for Winter 2024 applications from October 26, 2023 - January 24, 2024 at 11:59PM.
Winter 2024 Pitch Weekend will happen February 9-11, 2024.
SIF Application Timelines
SIF Application Timeline: Step-by-Step Guide
- Complete the mandatory SIF E-Learning Module (external link, opens in new window) .
- Secure a Project Supervisor (see section below for more details).
- Create a line-by-line budget for your initiative.
- Submit your SIF Application.
- You will recieve an automatic email notification outlining additional tasks to complete.
- The SIF Team will review your application.
- You will be booked for a pitch if your application is successful.
- Your SIF pitch happens!
- You will receive an email within 3-4 weeks after your SIF Pitch stating the funding decision made for your initiative.
SIF Funding Amounts
Initiatives hosted 3 times or less
- Eligible to recieve a maximum of $4500 in initial funding
- Eligible to receive an additional $4000 in secondary funding
- Eligible to recieve $1000 in funding to support initiative accessibility
Initiatives hosted more than 3 times
- Eligible to recieve a maximum of $2500 in initial funding
- Eligible to receive an additional $2000 in secondary funding
- Eligible to recieve $1000 in funding to support initiative accessibility
Black and Indigenous Initiative Funding (BIF)
The BIF Fund will award up to $5,000 in funding to initiatives that are eligible for the Students Initatives fund and also meet the BIF fund criteria.
You may start an application and save it before submitting, if you still would like to edit it. Once you submit the application, it cannot be edited.
Applications are comprised of the following components:
- Detailed responses to the questions on the SIF Applicant Portal
- A complete budget in line item format
- Student Event Risk Assessment
- Primary and Secondary Contact information from two initiative members
- Contact information of the Project Supervisor and completion of Project Supervisor Information Form
Creating a Budget
A line-item budget is a key element for SIF grant proposals and serves as a blueprint for spending the funds. The committee will ask some clarifying questions about your budget.
A line-item budget lists each of the initiative’s sources of income, each type of expense, and the projected amounts to be spent. Funding will be allocated for specific line item expenses based on the budget proposal of SIF groups, which is decided on by the SIF Committee. The SIF Committee has the right to fund partial line items.
Additional Budgeting Resources
SIF Funding Requirements
You must use any SIF funding you receive within the SIF academic cycle you receive it. Funds cannot be transferred from one year to subsequent years. The SIF academic cycle is September 1st to August 31st.
Your initiative will not be considered for funding if...
- Your student group has already submitted a SIF application this semester (even if it was for a different initiative)
- You will receive academic credit for this initiative
- If your initiative has already taken place/ completed before submitting an application
- Your initiative is a start-up or for-profit
We ask that you include the SIF Logo (external link) in all promotional items for your initiative.
Additionally, SIF will not fund the following items:
- Alcohol and cannabis products
- Student group/initiative deficits from previous years
- Prize money or gift cards
- Charitable donations
- Contingency funds or ancillary expenses
- End-of-year graduation events
- Group operating budgets
- Initiative Honorariums or Salaries to student/staff organizers
- Certain Technological Equipment (Desktop/Laptop Computers, Monitors/ TVs, Printers, Cameras, Lenses). The funding eligibility of some items will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Please email the SIF Chair if you are unsure whether your purchase is eligible.
To be eligible for SIF funding, your Initiative must fulfill the 5 main objectives of SIF
- Increases student engagement
- Incorporates diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Fosters innovation
- Improves community engagement
- Enhances the reputation of Toronto Metropolitan University.
Additionally, all SIF applications must
- Have a Project Supervisor: Your project supervisor must be a full-time employee of Toronto Metropolitan (faculty or staff) that is willing to fulfill the role of a Project Supervisor. They must complete the Project Supervisor E-Learning Module.
- You must have sought meaningful alternate sources of funding (sponsorship, departmental funding, bake sales, etc.).
- You must have a complete budget in the proper format using the SIF template and upload a digital copy on your SIF Application Portal as part of your application. You can download the SIF template in the Portal.
- The initiative’s budget must include specific line items that SIF will be funding.
- The primary and/or secondary contact(s) from each group must complete the Student Initiatives Fund E-Learning Module to learn about the the expectations and criteria for a successful SIF application.
Finding a Project Supervisor
The process for finding a project supervisor requires you to seek connections within the communities you are already working within (your program, faculty and your on campus job). Our hope is to help you enrich these working relationships and give you an opportunity to showcase your project to professionals within your industry
Use the Toronto Metropolitan Directory to help you create a list of potential supervisors.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Project Supervisor
- Student Support
- Ensuring all submission deadlines are met
- Submitting financial documents on behalf of students for their SIF Reimbursement (SIF does not process financial reimbursements on behalf of students)
- Preventing deficits/covering deficits if they occur
- Ensure Initiative Completion Package is submitted to Student Life 30 days after initiative/project completion
Try reaching out to:
- Full time staff or professors who work within your department who you have a good working relationship with.
- Staff within your faculty and program. Try contacting your Program Administrator to ask if they may be able to identify faculty and staff who qualify and are willing to be a Project Supervisor.
- Any Toronto Metropolitan staff/faculty member who is doing work relevant to your proposed initiative.
Struggling to find a project supervisor?
Staff members in Department of Student Life and Learning Support are also a great source to find project supervisors. They offer programs and services designed to support, mentor, develop and help students.
Reach out to us at email@example.com for support.
Due to the large volume of applicants, we ask that every group attempt to contact at least 5 potential supervisors before reaching out to firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
Guidelines and Responsibilities
Below are guidelines for the responsibilities that all project supervisors are required to fulfill:
- Offering general advice to the students regarding their initiative
- Ensuring the students follow the Official SIF Policies and comply with them in their initiative
- Signing a copies of the initiative final report and final budget
- Ensuring the initiative acknowledges SIF support by including our logo in initiative marketing and communication materials
- Ensuring the initiative members submit their final report, final budget, and financial paperwork no later than 30 days of the initiative completion date
- Ensuring that the SIF funds are spent on the budget line items that have been approved by the SIF Committee
- Completing all the financial reimbursement requests to Toronto Metropolitan Financial Services for the initiative expenses covered by SIF
- You are responsible for any deficits incurred in the SIF initiative cost centre due to overspending
- If the initiative overspends out of its SIF cost-centre, you are responsible for repaying the difference (either through the student group or through the department’s cost-centre)
Thank you for taking on all the responsibilities and fulfilling them! Your support and dedication is appreciated!
Learn more about SIF