MOVE Everywhere: Online
We know not everyone is ready or able to join us in-person at TMU or otherwise. But the importance of regular physical activity and a sense of community connection are critical to our well-being and academic success.
Whether live classes with us or pre-recorded content with our TMU instructors, or from around the world: Join us... And MOVE!
All programs are freely available to all TMU students.
Welcome to Winter 2022! We plan to offer in-person classes beginning February 7, but we also continue to offer Virtual Group Fitness classes. Just because you're away from campus doesn't mean that your need to move is less important!
- What to expect: Whether it’s your first time or you are a regular, everyone is welcome to join us! Find class descriptions on our regular Group Fitness schedule page. To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience, Zoom classes will be monitored by a staff member.
- How to connect: Check the schedule linked above and follow the link when your selected class is live.
- Not interested in feedback from your instructor or connecting with your classmates? No worries - we're here for you, camera on or off!
- All virtual classes are small-space friendly!
- Taking a virtual muscle conditioning class? What type of resistance equipment do you need? Traditional resistance equipment like dumbbells, barbells, tubing, and weight plates can be used, in addition to common household items such as water bottles, soup cans, detergent jugs or other items. And don’t forget, body weight can also be used for many exercises as well!
Having issues with Zoom or finding your Live Class? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
Weekly Schedule: January 17 - April 29, 2021
|10:00 - 10:30 am||Mobility & Flexibility||Anissa|
|6:00 - 6:45 pm||Barre||Sharon|
|7:00 - 7:40 pm||DanceFire||Dione|
|7:00 - 7:45 pm||Zumba||Molly|
|10:00 - 10:40 am||Total Muscle Conditioning||Anissa|
|6:30 - 7:00 pm||Stretch & Flex||Sharon|
|7:00 - 7:40 pm||Pilates||Sharon|
The Body Project at Toronto Metropolitan University is an evidence based, body positive program that is dedicated to the destruction of the appearance ideal and the promotion of body positivity.
- Monday Sessions
February 7 & February 14, 9:30am - 11:00 am
- Tuesday Sessions (Residence Students Only)
February 8 & February 15, 3:00pm - 4:30pm
- Wednesday Sessions
February 9 & February 16, 7:00pm - 8:30pm
- Thursday Sessions
February 10 & February 17, 7:00pm - 8:30pm
About the Body Project
The Body Project at TMU is part of the multi-national Body Project Collaborative, a no-cost dissonance-based body acceptance program which allows young students to resist the societal and cultural pressures of what their bodies are expected to look like. The Body Project TMU is associated with Student Wellbeing, Housing & Residence Life, SHARPP, and the Department of Athletics and Recreation.
EveryBody is a SomeBody
Low body confidence can be hard to identify and even harder to address, which is why TMU is on a mission to support our students to be more body confident. Body Image does not discriminate. It can be compounded by ‘minority stress’ and affects men, women, BIPOC and trans, genderqueer, and non-binary people who are of all sizes.
Does how you feel about your body prevent you from joining groups, socializing or showing up? When you hold yourself back because of the way you think you look, you miss out – and society misses out, too.
Join our Virtual Body Project Peer-to-Peer Workshops!
Register to join the *free* program, which consists of 1-hour virtual group sessions once a week for 4 weeks alongside peer-facilitators in a group of 10 students live on Zoom. Together we will break down these ideals and learn to live with body confidence.
Please note, there is a time commitment associated with this program: participants will be expected to actively participate in the four 1 hour virtual sessions and complete take home assignments. But don't worry, it's all for YOU in the end!
Questions? Email us at email@example.com!
From TMU Recreation
Looking for a new way to move? Missed your favourite class? Check out our on-demand classes below and via our Youtube channel - TMU Recreation, external link.
From Around the World
Mindfulness & Yoga to Help Manage Stress & Anxiety
- Yoga for Stress & Anxiety, external link
- How Mindfulness Can Help You Navigate the Coronavirus, external link
- A Simple Breathing Practice to Keep Panic at Bay, external link
- A Loving-Kindness Meditation to Cultivate Resilience, external link
YouTube Channel Workouts
- The Fitness Marshall, external link - dance cardio classes with a welcoming, fun vibe
- Variety Ontario YouTube, external link - an ever-growing range of accessibility-minded fitness videos
- Popsugar, external link - a range of strength, cardio, dance and yoga classes with a more serious, intense feel
- Fitness Blender, external link - access videos on their YouTube channel or get their app to search over 500 free workouts by length, difficulty, training type, muscles used, calorie burn and more
Activity & Workout Apps
- Seven App, external link - short workouts tailored for you, free and paid versions
- Down Dog App, external link - a range of yoga and fitness classes, paid app
- Peloton App, external link (not just spinning!) - live and pre-recorded classes for strength, spin and treadmill users, paid app with free 30 day trial
Important! When working out at home, remember:
Everyone has different abilities and spaces - be sure to adapt exercises to your body and space, take breaks when you need them, and factor in any injuries or pre-existing conditions you may have.
There are inherent risks involved in any type of physical activity, including the possibility of personal injury and death; risks include but are not limited to: overexertion, mis-use of equipment, collision with objects, trips, slips or falls.
Doing light physical activity while you learn has been shown to improve creativity, recall, attention and understanding.
Whether during a break mid-class or meeting, starting your day off right or winding it down - or anytime - this collection of on-demand 3-6 minute movement breaks is sure to leave you feeling and thinking better.
Intramurals Sports are all about a chance to play while connecting with fellow students around shared interests and friendly competition. Even as our in-person options are limited, we're excited to keep the spirit of the program - and the well-being and academic benefits - going strong via Esports.
What to Expect
Who can take part? This program is open to all TMU Students, Staff and Faculty.
Our aim is to welcome all students interested in participating with some recreational gaming and staying connected to friends or colleagues (staff, faculty), or people within your program and residence students. All are welcome to participate and enjoy, participating in games, following your standings.
- FIFA 20
- Rocket League
- Among Us
- Ramily Feud