Hire a Co-op Student
Our Students are Young Leaders!
Hiring our Students is Easy
The Ted Rogers School of Management (TRSM) uses a continuous hiring process where jobs are posted on a first-come, first-served basis, allowing employers to attract the most qualified students and obtain a larger pool of applicants. Employers are encouraged to begin the hiring process three to four months in advance of the start of employment. To hire a Co-op student, employers follow this simple, streamlined process:
1. Identify an area within your organization that will benefit from hiring a Co-op student.
2. Identify a staff member who can supervise and mentor the student throughout their Co-op term. (Many organizations use the Co-op program as an effective way to provide supervisory experience to aspiring leaders.)
3. Establish key learning objectives for the role and for the student.
Creating a Job Posting
1. Create a brief description of the student's duties/responsibilities and the skills required. Establish the duration (start and end date), confirm a salary, and any additional details you would like to include.
2. Post the job – you can work directly with our Co-op Coordinators to have your job posted, or you can post it yourself on our Co-op Job Portal (opens in new window) .
The job posting will be accessible to all TRSM programs or can be exclusive to a program of your choice. We recommend posting the job for a minimum of one week.
Reviewing and Interviewing
1. Review applications – we will send you all of the student applications for your review
2. Decide who you would like to interview
The Co-op Coordinators will assist in scheduling the interviews for you. Interviews can take place either on campus or at your work site.
Selection and Offer
1. Select Candidate(s)
2. Extend an Offer
3. Formalize your final offer through a formal offer letter or contract.
Throughout this final process you have access to our Co-op coordinators for full support and advice.
Co-op terms range between four (4) and sixteen (16) months. Generally, Co-op terms will be one of the following durations:
- four (4) months
- eight (8) months
- twelve (12) months
- sixteen (16) months
There are three different times when a Co-op placement begins. Dependent on whether or not you are taking a work-term in the Summer and/or during the Academic year, the following months are when Co-op placements start:
In order to have your co-op work term qualify, co-op students must work between 37 and 40 hours per week, for a minimum of 12 weeks.
Work Term 1
Work Term 2
Work Term 3+
|All TRSM Co-op Programs||
|*based on average 2021/2022 earnings of Ted Rogers Co-op Students; this is intended as a guide only; please reach out to our Managers, Corporate Partnerships for consultation.|
Our Prep Program Reflects Industry Needs
Phase 1 - Career Readiness
This level is completed by our students before applying to Co-op, and includes modules on resume development, social media presence, networking and interview skills.
Phase 2 - Professional Competencies
Our Co-op Prep Program goes beyond the basics. TRSM Co-op students complete extensive workshop and lab training in:
-Excel and PowerPoint
- Self Assessments
-Live Actor Simulations focused on developing professional behaviours
Phase 3 - Specialized Industry Training
This Level of the Co-op Prep Program is completed before students graduate.
The workshops within this level focus on the development of industry relevant skills and certifications including: Data Analytics, Design Thinking, Change Management, Process Re-Engineering, Lean Six Sigma, Innovation and Disruption, Project Management.
Scotiabank's Changemakers Fund
This unique Ted Rogers co-op program provides reimbursement to the employer (up to 50 percent of the total cost of the Co-op placement), and supports work term placements ranging in length from 4 and 8 months. Learn more about Scotiabank Changemakers Fund (opens in new window) .