Areas of Specialization
Building information modeling
Occupant wellness and productivity
Existing building simulation
Smart building systems
Portfolio retrofit optimization
Sustainable building design
Agile project management in architecture & engineering practice
|2023||University of Edinburgh Business School||Ph.D. (Management)|
|2003||University of Waterloo||MASc|
|2003||University of Waterloo||Certificate in University Teaching|
|2001||University of Waterloo||BASc|
Jenn McArthur is a prominent building scientist, mechanical engineer, and consultant in Canada. As a subject matter expert in smart technologies, sustainability, and real estate, McArthur is passionate about decarbonizing existing buildings and rethinking energy consumption.
With two decades of industry experience and a Ph.D. in Management, McArthur brings a practical perspective to research. She actively collaborates with government, enterprises, start-ups, academics, and students to develop new solutions and policies that result in future-friendly buildings. One of the recent highlights for McArthur was serving on the advisory board for the City of Toronto to inform its Net Zero by 2040 strategy. “When I saw that work come to fruition, I felt a great sense of professional pride,” she says.
As an Associate Professor and the Associate Chair for the Masters of Project Management in the Built Environment, McArthur seeks to instill that same pride in her students. McArthur says, “Watching my grad students get excited about the research results and see the kind of impact they can make, there's nothing in the world better than that.”
"I take developments from big data, cloud computing, machine learning and artificial intelligence to help us operate healthier and more sustainable buildings."
- Quinn, C., Shabestari, A.Z., Misic, T., Gilani, S., Litoiu, M. and McArthur, J.J., 2020. Building automation system-BIM integration using a linked data structure. Automation in Construction, 118, p.103257.
- Shohet, R., Kandil, M.S., Wang, Y. and McArthur, J.J., 2020. Fault detection for non-condensing boilers using simulated building automation system sensor data. Advanced Engineering Informatics, 46, p.101176.
- McArthur, J.J. and Powell, C., 2020. Health and wellness in commercial buildings: Systematic review of sustainable building rating systems and alignment with contemporary research. Building and Environment, 171, p.106635.
- Bortoluzzi, B., Efremov, I., Medina, C., Sobieraj, D. and McArthur, J.J., 2019. Automating the creation of building information models for existing buildings. Automation in Construction, 105, p.102838.
- McArthur, J.J., Shahbazi, N., Fok, R., Raghubar, C., Bortoluzzi, B. and An, A., 2018. Machine learning and BIM visualization for maintenance issue classification and enhanced data collection. Advanced Engineering Informatics, 38, pp.101-112.
- Smart Building Analytics Living Lab
- Building Information Research Group
- Director, Canada Green Building Council (GTA Chapter)
- Technology Director, Board, Subtle Technologies
- Editorial Board, Intelligent Buildings International
- Jennifer McArthur BIM and Existing Building Consulting (2016-present)
- Can smart buildings offer sustainability without sacrificing privacy? (article) (external link)
- Spark with Nora Young: Smart, sustainable buildings (podcast) (external link)
- Advancing the Smart City movement through big data (article) (external link, opens in new window)
- Schneider Electric donates to Toronto Met’s Smart Building Analytics Living Lab (article) (external link)
- Flipping the Classroom: Bergeron Centre for Engineering Excellence (article) (external link, opens in new window)