Graduate Program in Immigration and Settlement Studies
About the Program
Canada’s first graduate program devoted to advanced study of immigration policy, services and experiences was launched in September 2004 at Toronto Metropolitan University.
The Master of Arts in Immigration and Settlement Studies is an innovative new program that explores immigration trends, policies & programs in Canada from multi-disciplinary perspectives. Available in both full-time and part-time study options, this program:
- is the only graduate program in the country that focuses solely on the consequences and opportunities arising from transnational human mobility as it relates to Canada
- is located in the metropolis that is the destination of more than 37% of all immigrants to the country, and where 46% of its population is foreign-born and could not, therefore, be more appropriately placed
- is designed to cater to the needs of both research- and professionally-oriented students
- caters to the needs of students wishing to undertake the program on either a full-time or part-time basis with no no difference in the program taken by full-time and part-time students
- provides a practicum, opens in new window with unique opportunities for students to gain first-hand experience with leading government and community based immigration service organizations
- requires students to undertake a Research Paper as a specialized topic of study
- is conducted in a multi-disciplinary environment -- bringing together researchers from a variety of disciplines
- ensures that all graduate student will have an opportunity to interact with other researchers from government, community agencies and partners from other universities in the Metropolis Project, and the Joint Centre for Research in Immigration and Settlement (CERIS)
- prepares graduates for careers in many community, government and private positions, as well as further academic pursuits.
Message from the Program Director
"As a free-standing interdisciplinary graduate program, the Immigration and Settlement Graduate Program (ISS) welcomes students from different academic backgrounds and professional experiences. It provides space and opportunity to strengthen and expand such experiences with different kinds of knowledge to understand policies, institutional practices, different immigrant communities, historical and present mobility patterns in Canada and different parts of the world. "
"In choosing the MA Program in Immigration and Settlement Studies and Toronto Metropolitan University, you enter an exceptional graduate program that will help you along the way with your professional career!"
2014-15 ISS cohort
"I was impressed with the faculty's strong commitment to students' success. They provided a comfortable atmosphere which encouraged students to ask questions and review course topics for further understanding. I definitely recommend this program to anyone who has a career interest in immigration and related fields."
2014-15 ISS cohort
Read more alumni testimonials