Criminology and Social Justice (MA)
Part of the Faculty of Arts (opens in new window)
- Completion of a four-year undergraduate (or equivalent degree) from an accredited institution
- Minimum GPA or equivalent of 3.00/4.33 (B) in the last two years of study
- Statement of interest
- Two letters of recommendation
- Sample of work
- English language proficiency requirement
More information on admission requirements. Due to the competitive nature of our programs, it is not possible to offer admission to everyone who applies that meets the minimum entrance requirements for the program.
Students are encouraged to submit applications prior to the first consideration date to increase their chances of securing financial support for their graduate studies. Applications received after the first consideration date will be accepted and reviewed based on spaces remaining in the program.
See application dates.
- Canadian national security law and policy
- Gender, feminist and women’s studies
- Harm reduction approaches in justice systems
- Historical studies on public order, political culture and urban governance
- Human rights and migration
- Indigenous justice
- International perspectives on crime
- Policing and “race”
- Public perceptions of crime and justice
- Victims and the justice system
- Violence and communities
- Youth justice policy and the administration of justice
- Criminology and Social Justice Seminar
- Critical Engagement with Criminological Theories
- Field Placement
- Inequality, Social Justice and Criminal Justice
- Justice Policy
- Practitioners Seminar
- Additional courses offered by other Toronto Metropolitan University MA/PhD programs
For information specific to programs, please see the program contact information below.
I am extremely grateful to have attended the Criminology and Social Justice MA program at TMU, which has led to further studies in the J.D. program at the University of Ottawa. The preparation, knowledge, and discipline I gained from this program, as well as the support I received from the faculty and staff during my time at TMU, illustrates how the university is truly an inclusive and exceptional community.