TMU Furniture Rehome Program
The TMU Furniture Rehome Program was created by the Sustainability Office to divert TMU furniture in good condition from landfill. Through the program, we hope to encourage and facilitate the redistribution and reuse of quality surplus TMU furniture items and reduce landfill waste.
If items cannot be rehomed on campus, they are made available to TMU community members for personal use or are otherwise offered to other public sector institutions (external link) , community organizations or TMU’s Free Store. Anything remaining or unfit for redistribution is dismantled and recycled as appropriate.
Most program donations are either office furniture (chairs, desks, tables or filing cabinets) or lab furniture (lab tables, shelves or chairs). However, non-furniture items, such as office supplies, books or equipment donations are also accepted. Personal items are not accepted.
Retired electronics that are functional but no longer compatible with university infrastructure or that cannot be rehomed internally may be redirected to other public sector institutions, the TMU Free Store or community programs to find a second life where they are needed.
Benefits of the Furniture Rehome Program
How it works
The Furniture Rehome Program can be used only for TMU-owned items and not for personal item exchange. At the moment, it is only open to TMU faculty and staff. All items must be free of charge.
It is the responsibility of the individual parties to coordinate the pick-up of the item. FMD is not responsible for this.
- Post on the TMU Furniture Rehome Google group as soon as you have the item available to give adequate time for the item to be viewed and claimed. Items should be TMU furniture or equipment only, personal items are not accepted.
- A clear subject line should be included to increase visibility. Please indicate what is being traded and the location of the item.
- Your message must include:
- a photo of the item
- the location where it can be picked up
- the date/time it must be picked up by.
- additional information such as item dimensions, item condition, etc.
- If there is more than one person interested in the same item, the item should be given to the person that requested it first.
- Once the item has been given away, please delete the post so others know that the item is no longer available and notify the Sustainability Office at email@example.com so they can track the number of items that have successfully moved through the program.
There are two ways to unsubscribe from the mailing list (choose either one of them):
- You can leave multiple groups at a single time using the web interface. To do this:
- Access Google Groups (refer to Accessing my Mailing Lists).
- Click My Groups and you will see a listing of all Google Groups lists you are subscribed to.
- Click Leave this group for all the groups you want to leave/unsubscribe.
- Send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org replacing listname with the email address for the Groups list. You may have to verify your email address. You will receive an email confirming that you have been removed from the Groups list.
Questions or concerns?
If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, please contact Sharmilla Raj, sustainability engagement lead, at email@example.com.