About the School of Occupational and Public Health
Workplaces and communities in Canada are safer than ever before, thanks in large part to the work of occupational and public health and safety professionals:
- Occupational health and safety professionals help prevent injury and illness in the workplace
- Public health professionals help prevent disease and protect public health for the entire population
Both professions anticipate, evaluate and control physical, biological, chemical and other hazards.
Drawing upon their specialized knowledge, these professionals help develop and implement initiatives that improve health, safety and well-being in work environments and in a range of settings accessed by the public.
Our mission is to:
- Advance knowledge in occupational and public health and safety
- Address societal needs through innovation and excellence in research and teaching
- Prepare students for successful professional careers and leadership in industry and the community
- Advance the science of occupational and public health and safety through research aimed at practical solutions to important health and safety challenges
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to identify and address occupational and public health and safety priorities
- Prepare practitioners who have the academic and professional skills required to meet the occupational and public health and safety needs of the local, national and international community
Our vision is to be a leading centre for applied research and professional education in occupational and public health and safety.
Since its establishment in 1953, the School of Occupational and Public Health has continually evolved to prepare students to meet the changing health and safety needs of Canadians.
A few highlights:
- In response to a noted societal need for trained public health professionals, we opened our doors to students in 1953.
- We are the first undergraduate school in Canada to offer accredited degree programs in both occupational health and safety and public health. Over the years, we have delivered highly skilled graduates capable of advancing health and safety standards.
- Our Public Health program — established in 1960 — is the original and longest-running program of its kind in Canada.
- Our Occupational Health and Safety degree is the only comprehensive degree of its type in Canada.
- We are one of the first universities to offer continuing education in occupational health and safety. We are a leader in delivering continuing education in a range of formats, including online, intensive and in-person.