You are now in the main content area

Frequently Asked Questions

To be eligible for the co-op program, you must be a full-time Business Technology Management student.

To qualify for co-op you must have completed ALL 10 first year courses in the BTM curriculum (opens in new window)  with a minimum CGPA of 2.80

Application to co-op occurs in the summer (June) following your first year.

No, you must have satisfied all requirements for co-op by the end of the Winter semester of your first year.

No, there is only one intake window at the end of the winter semester of first year.


Transfer credits may not necessarily affect your eligibility.  They can be used to offset course requirements for a future semester. Too many transfer credits, however will make you ineligible by putting you too far ahead of the cohort. Transfer credits for first year courses will be used to determine admission CGPA.

No. ALL first-year courses, including the required Table A-Lower Level Liberal Studies course, must be completed.

Yes, as long as doing so does not put you too far ahead of the cohort.

No, you must apply. All applicants are notified of their status at the end of the application process.

No, admission to co-op is based on the established criteria. The decision is final and is not appealable.

Students are encouraged to use any connections they may have to secure employment; however, the Business Career Hub will identify opportunities for which you must successfully compete. Jobs are listed on the official TMU co-op platform (opens in new window) . If job search is done outside of this portal, you must keep a record of job search activities to show diligence.

Students are expected to complete 5 work terms to graduate with the co-op designation, however, at the discretion of the school, students may be permitted to graduate with less than the prescribed number of work terms, if they are unable to secure employment. Students cannot choose to miss a work term. Exemptions are at the discretion of the school and are granted on a case by case basis.

Under the current circumstances, and as an accommodation, students who miss 2 work terms will be permitted to remain and seek future employment. If employment is not found for a 3rd work term they will be opted out and returned to the regular program to complete the degree.

You are permitted to take one course (preferably not an ITM prefix course) through The Chang School of Continuing Education. You must have permission from the school and your co-op employer before enrolling in the course.

If your CGPA falls below 2.80, you will be given one academic semester grace period to bring your CGPA back to the acceptable level. If not, you will be transferred to the regular program.

You can voluntarily opt out of the co-op program at anytime.  Some co-op fee may be charged depending on when you opt-out.

To opt out, you must complete an opt out form which will be provided by the co-op administrator, and complete a  (google form) Plan Change Request Form (external link, opens in new window) .

Once you have been hired for a position, you are obligated to complete the employment, and submit a work term report to receive the credit for the work term.

If you do not submit a report, you will receive a grade of “FLD” for the Work Term which will be factored in your CGPA, academic standing and graduation eligibility.

Yes, co-op students may participate in the exchange program. However, you are advised to carefully plan your course load to ensure that your future co-op commitments and pre-requisite requirements will not be jeopardised.

No, Direct Entry students are not eligible, as they have already completed 2 years of the 4-year degree program.

Theoretically this is possible, realistically, however, co-op is a 5-year commitment and based on the schedule of work terms and courses, early graduation is not likely.

No, your CGPA must be at or above 2.80 to be accepted into co-op.

Yes. Admission is based on a combination of factors: completed first year courses, CGPA, a resume/cover letter, video interview and evidence of employability.

Yes, academic and work terms can be interchanged to meet employer needs.  This is assessed on a case by case basis.

For more information about co-op, please contact:

For more information about the Ted Rogers Co-op program, please contact the Business Career Hub at (opens in new window)