COVID-19 and Childhood Disability
COVID-19 and Childhood Disability
Globally, no one has been untouched by the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting closures of services, businesses and opportunities for social interaction. However, impacts of COVID-19 infection and subsequent closures are not equally distributed. This page presents research and reports related to disability specific COVID-19 effects and experiences from the IECSS project and from around the globe.
Research from IECSS Project
- Lawrence, B., Underwood, K., & Douglas, P. (2020). PDF fileIECSS policy brief no. 9: Reconciling interests of children and economies during the COVID-19 pandemic: Learning from families in Brandon, Manitoba. Inclusive Early Childhood Service System project. - PDF fileText version
- Parekh, G., & Underwood, K. (2020, May 14). Coronavirus crisis shows ableism shapes Canada's long-term care for people with disabilities, external link. The Conversation.
- Parekh, G., & Underwood, K. (2021, June 9). Learning in a pandemic: The time of coronavirus and the early years., external link Famly.co.
- Underwood, K., & Parekh, G. (2020, June 24). Child care after the coronavirus pandemic should be more inclusive of children with disabilities, external link. The Conversation.
- Underwood, K., van Rhijn, T., Balter, A., Feltham, L., Douglas, P., Parekh, G., & Lawrence, B. (2021). Pandemic effects: ableism, exclusion, and procedural bias, external link. Journal of Childhood Studies, 16-29.
Theory & Commentary
- Brandenburg, J. E., Holman, L. K., Apkon, S.D., Houtrow, A.J., Rinaldi, R., & Sholas, M. G. (2020). School reopening during COVID-19 pandemic: Considering students with disabilities, external link. Journal of Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine: An Interdisciplinary Approach, 13, 425-431.
- Espinosa, F., Metko, A., Raimondi, M., Impenna, M., & Scognamiglio, E. (2020). A model of support for families of children with autism living in the COVID-19 lockdown: Lessons from Italy, external link. Behavioural Analysis in Practice, 13, 550-558.
- Ineese-Nash, N. (2020). Finding our power together: Working with Indigenous youth and children during COVID-19, external link, Child & Youth Services, 41(3), 274-276.
- Lund, E. M., & Gabrielli, J. (2021). The role of pediatric psychologists in mitigating disability-specific barriers among youth during the COVID-19 pandemic, external link. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology, 9(1), 12–23.
- Patel, K. (2020). Mental health implications of COVID-19 on children with disabilities, external link. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 54, 102273.
- Provenzi, L., Grumi, S., & Borgatti, R. (2020). Alone with the kids: Tele-medicine for children with special healthcare needs during COVID-19 emergency., external link Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 2193.
- Rosenbaum, P. L., Silva, M., & Camden, C. (2020). Let’s not go back to ‘normal’! lessons from COVID-19 for professionals working in childhood disability, external link. Disability and rehabilitation, 1-7.
- Schiariti, V. (2020). The human rights of children with disabilities during health emergencies: the challenge of COVID-19, external link. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 62(6), 661.
- Cacioppo, M., Bouvier, S., Bailly, R., Houx, L., Lempereur, M., Mensah-Gourmel, J., Kandalaft, C., Varengue, R., Chatelin, A., Vagnoni, J., Vuillerot, C., Gautheron, V., Dinomais, M., Dheilly, E., Brochard, S., Pons, C., & ECHO Group. (2021). Emerging health challenges for children with physical disabilities and their parents during the COVID-19 pandemic: The ECHO French survey, external link. Annals of physical and rehabilitation medicine, 64(3), 101429.
- Cahapay, M.B. (2020). How Filipino parents home educate their children with autism during COVID-19 period, external link. International Journal of Developmental Disabilities, 1-4.
- Couper-Kenney, F., & Riddell, S. (2021). The impact of COVID-19 on children with additional support needs and disabilities in Scotland, external link. European Journal of Special Needs Education, 36(1), 20-34.
- Dhiman, S., Sahu, P.K., Reed, W.R., Ganesh, G.S., Goyal, R.K., & Jain, S. (2020). Impact of COVID-19 outbreak on mental health and perceived strain among caregivers tending children with special needs, external link. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 107, 103790.
- Embregts, P. J. C. M., Heerkens, L., Frielink, N., Giesbers, S., Vromans, L., & Jahoda, A. (2021). Experiences of mothers caring for a child with an intellectual disability during the COVID‐19 pandemic in the Netherlands, external link. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 65(8), 760-771.
- Jeste, S., Hyde, C., Distefano, C., Halladay, A., Ray, S., Porath, M., Wilson, R. B., & Thurm, A. (2020). Changes in access to educational and healthcare services for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities during COVID-19 restrictions, external link. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 64(2), 825-833.
- Neece, C., McIntyre, L.L., Renning, R. (2020). Examining the impact of COVID-19 in ethnically diverse families with young children with intellectual and developmental disabilities, external link. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 64(10), 739-749.
- Willner, P., Rose, J., Kroese, B.S., Murphy, G.H., Langdon, P.E., Clifford, C., Hutchings, H., Watkins, A., Hiles, S., & Cooper, V. (2020). Effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the mental health of carers of people with intellectual disabilities, external link. Journal of Applied Research Intellectual Disabilities, 33, 1523–1533.
- Action Aid, Education International, and Light for the Word (2020). The Bedrock of Inclusion: Why Investing in theEducation Workforce is Critical to the Delivery of SDG4., external link Lessons from five African countries.
- Brennan, C. S. (2020). PDF fileCOVID-19 Disability Rights Monitor 2020, external link.
- Childcare Resource and Research Unit. (2020a). PDF fileRe-opening child care centres during COVID-19 provincial/territorial guidelines for minimizing risk: Staff: child ratios, groupings and group sizes, physical space and social distancing.
- Childcare Resource and Research Unit. (2020b). PDF fileReopening plans for schools for grades K-6 by province/territory.
- Innovation to Inclusion (i2i). (2020). PDF fileDisability and COVID-19 Influencer Pack, external link.
- Janus, M., Pottruff, M., Reid-Westoby, C. (2020). PDF fileHidden future front line: Educators' perspective on the impact of COVID-19 pandemic on kindergarten children (HiFLEC) study: Descriptive report., external link Offord Centre for Child Studies, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON.
- Lee, V., Albaum, C., Tablon, P., Ahmad, F., Gorter, J.W., Khanlou, N., McMorris, C., Lai, J., Harrison, C., Hedley, T., Johnston, P., Putterman, C., Spoelstra, M., & Weiss, J. (2020). PDF fileImpact of COVID-19 on the mental health and wellbeing of caregivers and families of autistic people: A rapid synthesis review. Report prepared for the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, external link.
- Nowicki, J. M. (2020). Distance Learning: Challenges Providing Services to K-12 English Learners and Students with Disabilities during COVID-19. Report to Congressional Committees, external link. GAO-21-43. US Government Accountability Office.
- Rohwerder, B., Thompson, S., Shaw, J., Wickenden, M., Kayastha, S., Sigdel, A., & Bosri, R. (2021). ‘Because of COVID, everything is a mess’ How have people with disabilities experienced the pandemic in Nepal and Bangladesh?, external link Brighton: Institute of Development Studies.
- Sisti, D., Stramondo, J., & Shaul Bar Nissim, H. (2020). Fair Resource Allocation During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case for People with Disabilities and Equality of Consideration, external link. Ruderman Foundation.
- The National Institute for Early Education Research. (2020). PDF fileThe state of preschool 2020, external link.
- UNESCO. (2020). PDF filePolicy brief: A disability-inclusive response to COVID-19. , external linkUnited Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- UNICEF. (2020). Children with disabilities: Ensuring their inclusion in COVID-19 response strategies and evidence generation., external link United Nations International Children's Fund (UNICEF).
- Warner-Richter, M., & Lloyd, C.M. (2020). PDF fileConsiderations for building post-COVID early care and education systems that serve children with disabilities, external link. Child Trends.
- Arim, R., Findlay, L., & Kohen, D. (2020). The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on Canadian families of children with disabilities, external link. Statistics Canada.
- Preston, J. (May 5, 2020). COVID-19 and disability in Canada: What urgent and emergent issues to disabled Canadians face during the COVID-19 pandemic in the near and future term?, external link House of Commons/Chambre des Commune, Canada.
- Statistics Canada. (2020). PDF fileImpacts of COVID-19 on persons with disabilities., external link
- Baker, M. (2020, November 23). Students with disabilities should have the option of in-person learning during COVID-19 school closures. , external linkThe Conversation.
- UBC Okanagan News. (2021, June 2) Health of Canadians with disabilites suffering during the pandemic., external link UBC Okanagan News.
- Human Rights Watch (2021, July 15). Italy: Students with disabilities included in Covid-19 education plans. , external linkHuman Rights Watch.
- Parekh, G., & Underwood, K. (2021, June 9). How we improve accessibility in the early years., external link Famly.co.
- Wayman, S. (2021, June 22). How the digital world has given some people voices – and taken others’ away. , external linkThe Irish Times.