You are now in the main content area

Health, Safety & Security

Equipment Hazards

It is mandatory that you attend all in-class workshops offering training on equipment that you will need to complete your coursework, both for safety reasons and in order to have clearance to sign out that equipment. If you damage Image Arts equipment, you are responsible for the cost of repairs or replacement and you will lose your access privileges until payment is received.

Your instructor is responsible for providing specific training on the hazardous materials and/or processes that you are required to use in a course. Training is crucial, you or someone else could be seriously injured if used improperly. This includes procedures for the safe use, storage, handling and disposal of these hazardous materials and the procedures to follow in case of an emergency involving these materials.


General Studio, Production Space & Post-Production Facility Use

Please refer to details outlined in the student handbook. Access to these facilities is only for trained and authorized students currently enrolled in Image Arts classes. Many of these facilities require formal training and detailed instructions prior to use. They have the potential to be very dangerous if not properly trained and or if proper procedures are not followed. If you are unsure of how to use a facility or if you are authorized to use it please contact a staff member for assistance.

WHIMIS Training for Image Arts

All Image Arts Students are required to have Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) training and provide a copy of their Toronto Metropolitan University WHMIS Quiz Certificate to the Technology Resource Centre in order to gain access to the Image Art’s facilities and equipment. The following will be covered:

  • WHMIS legislation
  • Hazard Classifications and Symbols
  • Supplier and workplace labels
  • Safety Data Sheets

To take the training and quiz, you must have a TMU Username and Password. Go to and follow instructions.


Many of Image Arts programs are studio based and you may be working with various substances, such as photographic chemistry, that may be hazardous if not used properly. It is your responsibility to keep your work environment safe for you and your fellow students. Keep your work area clean and organized to reduce accidental spills or splashes. Nitrile gloves are available free of charge at the Technology Resource Centre when needed. Various other PPE is available in applicable facilities or upon request.  Darkrooms are equipped with eye wash stations and instructions for what to do if either you or someone else is splashed.

Safety Data Sheets (SDS)

All chemicals brought into the school must be approved prior to use on campus and include a valid SDS form provided to the Health and Safety Officer for inclusion into the SDS directory. Speak to Darren Cerkownyk at for any questions about chemistry or SDS’s.

If chemicals or bottles are not labeled correctly or do not have a valid SDS in the database, a substantial fine will be imposed and access suspended. All chemicals that you use or mix MUST be stored in appropriate chemical compliant containers and MUST be properly labeled.


First Aid

Most technical staff are trained and certified in First Aid & CPR. Basic First Aid kits are  accessible throughout the school with larger, more extensive kits kept with staff in primary locations should additional First Aid supplies be required. Please note, you should always contact 911 in the case of an emergency.

General Precautions


  • For potentially life threatening or serious emergencies, dial “911”
  • If you call ‘911’ give them your exact location in Image Arts if possible. They will contact TMU Security to direct emergency vehicles to the scene.
  • For non-911 situations, call TMU Security: 416.979.5040 on cell phones or external lines. They will come immediately. The Security office is on the main floor of the Victoria building, on the west side of Image Arts.
  • St. Michaels Hospital Emergency is 2 blocks south to Shuter and then one block west, corner of Shuter & Victoria St.

Fire Safety

If you see, smell, or detect a fire:

  • Pull the closest fire alarm.
  • Dial 911 from a safe location on any campus telephone.
  • Close all doors.
  • Ensure doors and exits are clear, do not block doors.
  • Exit by stairwells; do not use elevators.
  • Leave the building immediately by the nearest safe exit.
  • Assist people with disabilities or children, as required.
  • Wait outside the building as directed by Security or the Fire Wardens.

Personal Safety

A downtown campus such as TMU does tend to attract the occasional wanderer to its buildings in spite of regular checks by Campus Security. Keep these tips in mind when working in the building during irregular hours:

  • Whenever possible, do not work alone. Inform technical staff if you are alone or in an isolated area.
  • Notify any Image Arts staff or call Campus Security if you see someone suspicious in the building.
  • Know where the blue Emergency Pull Stations are. These are a direct link to Campus Security.
  • Use your common sense. If someone who doesn’t appear to belong in the building asks for your help, refer the person to any staff, Reception, or Security.

Walk Safe Program

This service provides TMU’s community with a protected escort by security officers or supervisors 24 hours a day to any location on the TMU campus, to the Dundas subway or to a number of parking lots off campus. To request an escort, call security at 416-979-5040 or ext.5040 from any internal phone or email .


Theft of personal or borrowed school property has unfortunately been known to happen. DO NOT leave your belongings unattended at any time anywhere in the building. Avoid storing valuable equipment in your locker overnight or over weekends. If you see someone suspicious, or anyone who seems to be paying a little too much attention to you and/or the contents of your locker, call Campus Security.


Lockers are situated in the basement and the 3rd floor of the Image Arts building. They are free and available to all undergraduate Image Arts students. Lockers can be registered by scanning the QR codes that are posted around the locker areas, and completing the linked form. Note that items and locks must be removed from your locker at the end of the winter academic term.

Any locks left after April 30 will be cut off and the contents discarded.


There are three lots nearby - at Church St and Gould St, Bond St and Dundas St, and TMU Parking Garage on Victoria St. right behind the Image Arts building. For information on how to obtain a monthly parking pass at any of the TMU parking lots please visit:


As a student of Image Arts, whether you are studying Film or Photography, you will be borrowing and using professional, valuable equipment on a regular basis. While there are great benefits to accessing this equipment, you assume full responsibility in the event of loss, theft or damage.

Property Insurance

Every enrolled student is covered by the same insurance policy at TMU, which covers both property and liability. Equipment loss or damage falls under property, which currently has a deductible of $50,000. This means that each time you sign out equipment from the Technology Resource Centre, you are responsible for paying the first $50,000 for repairs or replacement if that equipment is lost, stolen or damaged. Any damage or loss to Image Arts equipment must be reported to the Technology Resource Centre immediately. On-campus equipment losses must be reported to both Campus Security and Philani Moyo, ext. 553772. Thefts should also be reported to Police.

You may want to talk to an insurance agent about what coverage options may be available. We suggest you speak to the company that has dealt with our students: Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance, Judi Heron at 905.305.5938.

Liability Insurance

The liability clause of TMU’s policy offers significantly better protection to students in the event of an accident or damage to public or private property while filming or photographing away from campus. For example, you can still be sued if someone trips on a cable that you have placed on a city street while filming but if it can be proven that you are a registered student of TMU and that the activity that caused the accident was directly related to course work, you may not be held financially accountable as TMU’s insurance policy should cover you.

Occasionally, you will be asked to produce a Certificate of Insurance from the university as proof that you are a full-time student with coverage in case of an accident. Typically, only government or large public-sector organizations such as the TTC will request this from you but a request can come from anyone. Whether or not you obtain this Certificate, your coverage is active.

To obtain a Certificate of Insurance, contact TMU’s Risk & Finance Officer, Philani Moyo. It takes 5 working days to prepare so make sure you notify him as soon as you know you need one. The policy covers equipment used outside of Ontario; however, the Insurance Office must be advised before leaving.

Negligence is inexcusable and costly in any situation, no matter which party ends up ultimately responsible for damages. Liability insurance is there for you in case of accident - it is not a license to be careless or to take avoidable risks. If a lawsuit arises from a situation you are involved in, though you may not be held financially accountable, take all precautions and act responsibly in every situation!

Note: If you are bringing in non-students to work on a photo or film production in Image Arts facilities, those individuals are required to complete a Liability Waiver for assumption of risks and responsibilities.  (PDF file) The Liability Waiver (opens in new window)  is available from the Operations Manager.