Gmail Help Centre
Using a mail client to access Gmail
Google has recently implemented mail merge into Gmail and all full-time staff and faculty can now use the mail merge fuction within Gmail. You can now link a Google Sheet with Gmail to send personalized email to a number of recipients. More information on how to use Gmail mail merge funcation can be found on Google Support site (external link, opens in new window) .
- Only available to full-time staff/faculty
- You can only send up to 1500 recipients in mail merge per day
- Currently, recipients can only have @torontomu.ca email addresses (cannot be sent to external email addresses)
If this mail merge option odes not meet your needs, we do have an in-house option of mail merge using (google sheet) Google Sheets templates (external link, opens in new window) (under letters section, in the template gallery) that will allow mail merge to external email addresses.
If you’d like to use a mail client for TMU Gmail, visit our page on how to set up Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird.
Alternatively, you can also have all your TMU Gmail messages automatically forward to another email address. Find more on how you can forward TMU Gmail.
Gmail’s Spam folder is a mandatory part of all Gmail mailboxes. It cannot be disabled and should be checked periodically for misfiled messages that are not Spam. Messages remain in the Spam folder for 30 days
If you’re finding specific messages are being sorted as Spam when they should not be, here are three things you can do to reduce the likelihood of this happening:
- Mark the message as “not spam”. To do this, select the checkbox beside the message and click the Not Spambutton at the top of your mailbox. Similar messages will have a lower chance of being flagged as Spam in the future.
- Add legitimate senders to your Google Contacts. To do this, open an email and hover over the sender’s email address. A small window will appear, allowing you to click an Add to contacts link.
- Create a filter for messages from a specific email address. To do this:
1. Select the checkbox beside a message from the sender.
2. Click the More icon in the top-right corner of the message and select Filter messages like these.
3. Verify the "From" field contains the appropriate sender address. If so, click the Create filter button.
4. Select the box next to the option to Never send it to Spam and click the Create filter button.
When someone shares a Google Drive file with you, the email notification you receive will sometimes end up under the "Promotions" tab in Gmail instead of going to your primary inbox. This default setting from Google is intended to keep your primary inbox predominantly for messages from your known contacts.
To have Google Drive notifications delivered to your primary inbox, one possible workaround is to change the default Gmail inbox view. This will force promotion emails into your primary inbox.
- Go to Gmail settings > Configure inbox
- Unselect or check-off the Promotions tab