Academic Support Centre
FCS Academic Support available online
Here are some important points regarding FCS Academic Support and our shift to a remote model:
- While we are moving all of our appointments to an online format, you will still book these appointments as per usual via our online booking system, external link
- If you’re booking a face-to-face (“synchronous”) meeting with one of our Peer Learning Facilitators, please select a time-slot marked “online”; "eTutoring" appointments are for (“asynchronous”) assignment feedback
- As we always have for those seeking assignment support, we ask that you attach your assignment to your online booking before your scheduled time (in .docx format)
- To be sure, these assignment support appointments are specifically set-up to offer students feedback on their work; therefore, we also ask that you let us know of your assignment's guidelines/requirements and the kinds of support you are seeking (such as organizational or editing suggestions)
- Should the support you seek involve the review of a document or section longer than two or three pages, we suggest that you book two back-to-back appointments (as we can only work with the time we are allotted)
- Please do not book an appointment with more than one facilitator for the same assignment before receiving feedback from your first appointment; in other words, for a given assignment, please wait until you have received feedback from your first appointment and incorporated it into your editing process before booking your second appointment
- We endeavour to provide feedback within 24 hours of a given appointment time; please do not follow-up about a booking unless you give us at least 24 hours to send you feedback
- It is Centre policy to offer feedback using Microsoft Word's track changes and comments functions; if you are unsure of how these functions work, please see the following: Track changes in Word, external link
If you are seeking self-access resources to support your learning and development, please email email@example.com with a short message outlining your needs.
Our peer learning facilitators are trained student staff who can help you with course management, assignment completion, critical reading and writing skills.
Peer support is available throughout the academic year. Feel free to walk in — we are located on the fifth floor of the library, in Room LIB-549 — or book an appointment.
Not sure how we can support your academic success? Drop-in for a consultation with a member of our team to discuss your support needs. We are located on the fifth floor of the library, in Room LIB-549.
Check out our handouts and tip-sheets to further support your learning. Drop in at any time to pick up these resources — we are located in Room LIB-549.
Time Management and Goal Setting
- PDF fileHow to prepare for a new semester
- PDF fileUsing an agenda
- PDF fileBinder organization tips
- PDF fileMake the most of study sessions, opens in new window
- PDF filePlanning for success
- PDF fileThe three levels of goal setting
- PDF fileWeekly goal setting
- PDF fileEfficient note-taking tips
- PDF fileCornell Method
- PDF fileImproving your memory and understanding
- PDF fileManaging academic stress and anxiety
- PDF fileTips for writing multiple choice exams
- PDF fileUsing flash cards
- PDF fileUtilizing technology for school
- PDF fileHow to survive exams
- PDF filePreparing to read
- PDF fileHow to take notes from textbooks
- PDF fileHow to comprehend and critically analyze a text
- PDF fileHow to use the SQ4R Reading Method
- PDF fileLearning from readings
- PDF filePre-writing strategies
- PDF fileHow to create an outline
- PDF fileResearching and finding sources
- PDF fileOrganizing your essay
- PDF fileFormulating thesis statements
- PDF fileHow to structure a paragraph
- PDF fileWriting literature reviews
- PDF fileAn introduction to reflection papers
- PDF fileSelf-editing checklist
- PDF fileSo you're writing a LEARN reflection...
- PDF fileSteps for writing and organizing your MRP
- PDF fileHow to breakdown assignments
- PDF fileAPA 101
- PDF fileAPA format: General formatting, title page and abstract
- PDF fileAPA format: In-text citations
- PDF fileAPA format: Reference list
- PDF fileAPA format: Common errors
- PDF fileDatabase directory by program
- PDF fileUsing boolean operators
- PDF fileFinding credible sources
The Faculty of Community Services Academic Support and Resource Centre is located on the fifth floor of the library, in Room LIB-549.
Toronto Metropolitan University
Library Building, Room LIB-549
350 Victoria St.
Iram Khan, MA, TESL
Chris Cachia, MA, BEd