Dr. Simant Upreti
Areas of Research Interest
Optimal control and optimization
Process modeling and simulation
|2000||University of Calgary||PhD|
|1995||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
|1991||Harcourt Butler Technological Institute, Kanpur||BTech|
|Course Code||Course Title|
|CE 8610||Artificial Intelligence in Chemical Engineering|
|CE 8203||Applied Optimal Control|
|CE 8204||Advanced Modeling Techniques|
Simant Upreti remembers exactly what it was like to be a student far away from home. “When I arrived in North America, I knew no one,” he says. “My supervisor was kind enough to introduce me to other students, and that made the transition so much easier.”
Upreti has been paying it forward ever since, helping his students adapt quickly to the university environment, and training them to express themselves more clearly. These efforts are well worth it, he says. “When people from different educational systems come together, they gain insights from one another. The more diverse the classroom, the better.”
Every student is, of course, different, and Upreti tries to mentor them according to their individual interests and talents. “Some students are better at experimental work. Some are more imaginative with models and equations. In whatever area they need help, I am here for them.”
“The more diverse the classroom, the better.”
- Dutta, D., Upreti, S.R. A multiple neural network and reinforcement learning-based strategy for process control (2023) Journal of Process Control, 121, pp. 103-118.
- Dutta, D., Upreti, S.R. A survey and comparative evaluation of actor-critic methods in process control (2022) Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 100 (9), pp. 2028-2056.
- Dutta, D., Upreti, S.R. Artificial intelligence-based process control in chemical, biochemical, and biomedical engineering (2021) Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 99 (11), pp. 2467- 2504.
- Upreti S. R., Process Modeling and Simulation for Chemical Engineers: Theory and Practice. John Wiley & Sons Inc., New Jersey, 2017.
- Upreti S. R., Optimal Control for Chemical Engineers. CRC Press, Florida, 2013.
- Associate Editor, The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering
- Director of Student Affairs, Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering