Areas of Academic Interest
Applications of advanced oxidation technologies in wastewater treatment
Oxidation technologies for polymer surface modification and renewable energy
|1992||University of Windsor
|1985||Nanjing University of Technology
|1982||Nanjing University of Technology
Jiangning Wu knows how lucky she is to be an engineer. Raised during China’s Cultural Revolution, which banned many from attending university, Wu grew up thinking that her future was out of her control. All that changed when, after a decade, the revolution ended. Finally, she was able to pursue the chemical engineering degree she’d been hoping for.
Wu and her classmates were among the first to study engineering after the education restrictions were lifted. The pressure to excel was immense, but they stuck together, supporting one another through the long hours of studying. “We were very motivated,” she says. “We knew how fortunate we were to be in school.”
Today, Wu is making exciting strides in wastewater treatment through ozone technology. It’s a challenging field because the planet’s environmental problems can feel so enormous. But Wu is not daunted; that same teamwork-oriented outlook that got her through university keeps her pushing ahead. “It takes more than one person to fix all the water problems we face,” she says. “But if I train students and eventually they train students, together we can make a real impact.”
“I treasured the opportunity to go to university after so many years of not being allowed.”
- Al jibouri, A. K. H., Wu, J. and Upreti, S. (2019) Heterogeneous catalytic ozonation of naphthenic acids in water. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 97, 67-73.
- Al jibouri, A. K. H., Upreti, S. and Wu, J. (2018) Optimal control of continuous ozonation of non-biodegradable pollutants, Journal of Process Control, 66, 1-11.
- Al jibouri, A. K. H., Wu, J. and Upreti, S. (2017). Application of mass balance models in the process of ozone removal of naphthenic acids from water. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 95: 39–45.
- Al jibouri, A. K. H., Wu, J. and Upreti, S. (2015). Continuous ozonation of Methylene Blue in water. Journal of Water Process Engineering, 8, 142-150.
- Al jibouri, A. K. H. and Wu, J. (2015). Model Development for Naphthenic Acids Ozonation Process. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 22 (4), 2558-2565.
- Member of the editorial board, Journal of Chemical and Process Engineering