Areas of Academic Interest
To teach his students about the properties of fluids, Huu Doan likes to turn a bottle of ketchup upside down and smack it. "Ketchup is the type of fluid we need to give a shock to—we call this property yield strength,” he explains. He describes his teaching style as head on. At the beginning of the semester, he assesses their knowledge levels, and then tailors his instruction to match.
To prepare them for the industry, Doan reminds students that theoretical estimations are often limited by machinery in the field. "With theory, you can predict, but there will always be exceptions," he explains. Instead, he focuses on teaching students how to problem solve and think outside the box so that they can apply their skills to any field. "I have students that come back to tell me my classes have helped them in their co-op placements or jobs," he says. "That's the best part."
He knows what it’s like to be a Ryerson student—after all, he did his undergraduate here. After working as an industry consultant for a few years, he came back to teach. "It was like coming home."
"I teach my students to be independent."
- Masoume Ehsani, Ning Zhu, Huu Doan*, Ali Lohi, Amira Abdelrasoul (2022). In-situ investigation of ultrasound (US)-generated bubble dynamics for membrane fouling control applications, J. Water Process Eng., 48:1-13
- Masoume Ehsani, Ning Zhu, Huu Doan*, Ali Lohi, Amira Abdelrasoul (2021). In-situ Synchrotron X-ray imaging of ultrasound (US)-generated bubbles: influence of US frequency on microbubble cavitation for membrane fouling remediation, Ultrasonic Sonochemistry, 77: 105697-105712
- Amira Abdelrasoul*, Huu Doan, Ali Lohi, Ning Zhu (2020). Synchrotron based Micro Tomography (SR-µCT) and Multiphase Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Study to Investigate the Influences of Cross Flow Air Injection in Ultrafiltration Process, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 104611
- Kyu Min Lee, Huu Doan* and Farhad Ein-Mozaffari (2020). Intermittent Ultrasound-Assisted Ceramic Membrane Fouling Control in Ultrafiltration. The Can. Journal of Chemical Engineering. 98: 1648-1667
- Shaghayegh Saadati, Heloisa Westphalen, UbongEduok, Amira Abdelrasoul*, Ahmed Shoker, Phillip Choi, Huu Doan, Farhad Ein-Mozaffari, Ning Zhu (2020). Biocomptability Enhancement of Hemodialysis Membranes using Novel Zwitterionic: Experimental, in situ Synchrotron Imaging, Molecular Docking, and Clinical Inflammatory Biomarkers Investigations, Materials Science & Engineering C, 117: 111301