Prof. Golden is on leave in the Winter 2023 term.
Areas of Expertise:
equity and development; curricular innovation; international human rights; disability rights in the Bahamas
Prof. Golden's research and writing over the past 35+ years focuses on equity and development policy and process implementation, and on curricular innovation, for local and international community groups and institutions.
Current research: international experiential learning and community development; international human rights and settler colonialism; disability rights in the Bahamas
Past research: equity and diversity; Canadian black history resources; anti-racism; biracial identity; feminism; forms of sexual violence; workplace safety
Prof. Golden is the receipient of the Ryerson Chancellor's Award of Distinction, the Ryersonian of the Year Award, and the Ryerson Distinguished Service Award. She previously held a Visiting Research Fellowship at the University of the West Indies.
www.arts.ryerson.ca/thebahamasproject, opens in new window
- SOC 803: International Community Engagement
- SOC 609: Women and Human Rights
- SOC 111: The Social World
- SOC 104: Understanding Society
Community & Professional Service:
- Director of the Bahamas Educational Project, a collaboration between Toronto Metropolitan University and the Every Child Counts school for children with disabilities in the Bahamas (2011-present)
- Kenya Village Project: community based development support for two Kenyan village communities through the education of the girl child, solar cooker technologies, and educational mini-docs (2011-2017)
- Anti-racism resources for Heritage Canada and Toronto public school system (2000-2010)
- Community Workplace Safety Programme, Ontario Ministry of Health
Past Academic Leadership Positions:
- Chair of Department of Sociology, Ryerson University
- Director, Ryerson Caribbean Research Centre
- Senior Director, Office of Sexual Harassment, Safety and Security, Ryerson University
- Executive member of the Ryerson Faculty Association (25 years)
- Member of the Ontario Confederation of Faculty Association (OCUFA) Status of Women Committee
Recent Scholarly/Creative Work:
Golden, J. and P. Haastrup. 2017. The Loodariak Kenya Village Solar Cookers Project: Collaborative Knowledge Transfer., external link, opens in new window Solar Cookers International.
Golden, J. 2017. The Kithuia Kenya Village Solar Cookers Project Videos. Producer of four educational videos.