Erin Ziegler is an assistant professor in the Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing and a primary healthcare nurse practitioner (NP). She obtained her BScN and MN from Toronto Metropolitan University and PhD from McMaster University. As an NP, Ziegler is the clinical director of a transgender primary care program.
Ziegler holds a CIHR doctoral award for Innovative Thinking to Support LGBTQI2S Health and Wellness. Ziegler completed the Transdisciplinary Understanding and Training on Research Primary Health Care (TUTOR-PHC) fellowship. Her program of research focuses on primary healthcare for LGBTQ12S individuals and advanced practice nursing education and activities.
Ziegler teaches in the third year of the Collaborative, MN and NP program at Toronto Metropolitan University.
- MN 8903: Nature and Development of Nursing Knowledge
- MN 8950: Major Research Paper
- MN 8957/8958: Advanced Health Assessment and Diagnosis I and II
- MN 8959/8960: Therapeutics in Primary Health Care I and II
- MN 8951: Integrative Practicum
- NSE 203: Advanced Health Assessment
- NSE 31: Community Health Nursing
- Primary healthcare for LGBTQ12S individuals
- Advanced practice nursing education and activities
- Qualitative research
- Primary healthcare for LGBTQ12S individuals
- Advanced practice nursing education and activities
- Qualitative and Mixed Methods research
Chapters in Books:
- Bryant-Lukosius, D., Martin-Misener, R., Rousell, J., Carter, N., Kilpatrick, K., Tranmer, J. & Ziegler, E. (2022). Chapter 31: Policy and the integration of advanced practice nursing roles in Canada: Are we making progress? In. K. Goudreau & M. Smolenski (Eds.), Health Policy and Advances Practice Nurses (3 rd ed.) New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Lapum, J., Hughes, M., Ziegler, E., Accettola, E., Andrew, A., & Mistry, S. (2021). Chapter 5: Gastrointestinal System. Toronto. Retrieved from https://pressbooks.library.ryerson.ca/assessmentnursing/ Open educational resource.
- Bailey, A. St-Amant, O., Ziegler, E., Seto Nielsen, L., Savicevic, N., Petrie, P., Accettola, E., Pemasani, M., Andrew, A., Creer, R., Hughes, M., & Lapum, J. (2021). Chapter 2: Inclusive Approaches to Health Assessment. Toronto. Retrieved from https://pressbooks.library.ryerson.ca/assessmentnursing/ Open educational resource.
- Ziegler, E. (2021) Chapter 12: LGBT2SQ Populations. In E. Staples, R. Pilon & R. Hannon (Eds.), Canadian Perspectives on Advanced Practice Nursing (2nd ed). Toronto, ON: Canadian Scholars’ Press.
- Bryant-Lukosius, D., Ziegler, E., Kilpatrick, K., Martin-Misener, R. (2020) Chapter 7: Advanced practice nursing in Canada. In S. Hassmiller & J. Pulcini (Eds.), Advanced practice nursing leadership: A global perspective (1st ed). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Denninger, S., Coker, K., Chui, K. & Ziegler, E. (2020) Chapter 13: The Preschool Child. In M. Luctkar-Flude, J. Tyerman & S. Dames (Eds.), Edelman and Kudzma's Canadian Health Promotion Throughout the Life Span (1st ed). Toronto, ON: Elsevier Canada.
- Nash, R. & Ziegler, E. (2020). Chapter 2: Public Health Guidelines. In J. Cash, C. Glass, D. Fraser, L. Corcoran & M. Edwards (Eds.), Canadian Family Practice Guidelines. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Ziegler, E. (2018). Chapter 21: Sexuality and gender. In C. Pollard & S. Jakubec (Eds.), Varcarolis’s Canadian Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: Canadian Edition (2nd ed). Toronto, ON: Elsevier Canada.
Manuscripts in Refereed Journals:
- Ziegler, E., Tyerman, J. & Luctkar-Flude, M. (2022). Wolfgang's Story: A Virtual Simulation Supporting Effective and Supportive Communication with an Older Gay Adult. Creative Nursing. 28(2), 82-87. http://doi.org/10.1891/CN-2021-0085
- Flores-Yuen, K. & Ziegler, E. (2022). Aging love: A sexual health model for older adults. Creative Nursing, 28(2), 88-93. http://doi.org/10.1891/CN-2021-0070
- Lee, S. & Ziegler, E. (2022). Body image disturbance in female adolescents using online learning platforms: A concept analysis. Nurse Practitioner Open Journal, 1(2), 15-44. https://doi.org/10.28984/npoj.vi2.361
- Ziegler, E., Charnish, E. & DeCiantis, N. (2022). Out of the closet: Nurse practitioner faculty knowledge, comfort and willingness to incorporate LGBTQ2SA content into the curriculum. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research. Ahead of print. https://doi.org/10.1177/08445621211073289
- Ziegler, E., Charnish, E., Carroll., B. & Layman-Pleet, L. (2021). A critical review of clinical practice guidelines for care of transgender and gender diverse children and youth for use by primary care practitioners. Transgender Health. Ahead of print. https://doi.org/10.1089/trgh.2020.0185
- Ziegler, E., Luctkar-Flude, M., Carroll, B., Tyerman, J., Chumbley, L. & Shortall, C. (2021). Development of an online educational toolkit for sexual orientation and gender identity minority nursing care. Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem, 29(e3470), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1590/1518-8345.4712.3470
- Luctkar-Flude, M., Tyerman, J., Ziegler, E., Walker, S. & Carroll, B. (2021). Nursing education about cultural humility, sexual orientation and gender identity: Evaluating feasibility, usability and learning outcomes associated with an eLearning module that includes virtual simulation games. Teaching and Learning in Nursing, 16(4), 321-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.teln.2021.06.015
- Zanchetta, M., Fredericks, S., Santa Mina, E., Schwind, J., Sidani, S., Miranda, J., Santos, W.S., Bookey-Bassett, S., Ethesham, N., Ziegler, E., Fernandes, P., Lee, K., Bailey, A., Espin, S., Rose, D. & Lee, C. Sustaining undergraduate nursing students’ research education. Escola Anna Nery. 25(3), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1590/2177-9465-ean-2020-0293
- Ziegler, E., Kim, S. & Bar, R.J. Using the PEPPA framework to develop and implement a nurse practitioner role within Canada’s National Ballet School. Nurse Practitioner Open Journal, 1(1), 10-22. https://doi.org/10.28984/npoj.v1i1.341
- Ziegler, E., Kalvoda, S., Ancrum-Lee, E. & Charnish, E. (2021). I have never felt so novice: Using narrative reflection to explore the transition from expert RN to novice NP students. Nurse Practitioner Open Journal, 1(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.28984/npoj.v1i1.342
- Tyerman, J., Ziegler, E., Carroll, B. & Luctkar-Flude, M. (2021). LGBTQI2S Virtual Simulation: Lessons learned using actors with lived experience. Clinical Simulations in Nursing, 54, 40-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2021.01.016
- Mitchell, E. & Ziegler, E. (2021). Sexual dysfunction in gay prostate cancer survivors: A concept analysis. Journal of Homosexuality, 69(6), 1119-1139. https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2021.1905384
- Ziegler, E. (2021). The integral role of nurses in primary care for transgender people: A qualitative descriptive study (external link) . The Journal of Nursing Management, 29(1), 95-103. https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.13190
- Ziegler, E., Carroll., B. & Charnish, E. (2020). Review and analysis of international transgender adult primary care guidelines (external link) . Transgender Health. 6(3), 139-147. https://doi.org/10.1089/trgh.2020.0043
- Ziegler, E., Valaitis, R., Carter, N, Risdon, C. & Yost, J. (2020). Primary care for transgender individuals: A review of the literature reflecting a Canadian perspective (external link) . SAGE Open, 10(3), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244020962824
- Luctkar-Flude, M., Tyerman, J., Ziegler, E., Carroll, B., Shortall, C., Chumbley, L. & Tregunno, D. (2020). Developing a sexual orientation and gender identity nursing education toolkit (external link) . Journal for Continuing Education in Nursing, 51(9), 412-419. https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20200812-06
- Ziegler, E., Valaitis, R., Carter, N, Risdon, C. & Yost, J. (2020) Exploring the delivery and implementation of primary health care services for transgender individuals in Ontario: Case study protocol (external link) . Primary Health Care Research & Development, 21(e14), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1463423620000109
- Ziegler, E., Carroll, B. & Shortall, C. (2020) Design thinking in nursing education to improve care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and Two-Spirit people (external link) . Creative Nursing, 26(2), 118-124. https://doi.org/10.1891/CRNR-D-20-00003
- Ziegler, E., Valaitis, R., Risdon, C, Carter, N. & Yost, J. (2020) Models of care and team activities in the delivery of transgender primary care: An Ontario case study (external link) . Transgender Health. 5(2), 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1089/trgh.2019.0082.
- Ziegler, E., Valaitis, R., Yost, J., Carter, N., & Risdon, C. (2019). “Primary care is primary care”: Use of Normalization Process Theory to explore the implementation and delivery of primary care services for transgender individuals in Ontario (external link) . PLoS ONE. 14 (4): e0215873. pone.0215873. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal. pone.0215873
- Martin-Misener, R., Kilpatrick, K., Donald, F., Bryant-Lukosius, D., Rayner, J., Valaitis, R., Carter, N., Miller, P.A., Landry, V., Harbman, P., Charbonneau-Smith, R., McKinlay, R.J., Ziegler, E., Boesveld, S., & Lamb, A. (2016). Nurse practitioner caseload in primary care: A scoping review (external link) . International Journal of Nursing Studies, 62, 170-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2016.07.019.
- 2022 Provost’s Award for Teaching Excellence in Inclusive Teaching. Toronto Metropolitan University
- 2022 Knowledge Mobilization & Engagement Award, Toronto Metropolitan University SRC Award.
- 2021 Betty Burcher Award of Merit for Outstanding Contribution to Community Advocacy, Sigma Theta Tau International, Lambda Pi-At-Large Chapter
- 2021 Award of Excellence and Innovation in Instructional Design, The Canadian Network for Innovation in Education. For the development of the Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Nursing eLearning toolkit
- 2020 COUPN Doctoral Award, Council of Ontario University Programs in Nursing, Toronto, ON