Supporting Aboriginal Graduate Enhancement (SAGE) Award
The Supporting Aboriginal Graduate Enhancement (SAGE) Award has been established by a friend of the Rotary Club through the Toronto Eglinton Rotary Charitable Foundation to encourage Indigenous students to pursue graduate studies with the hope of increasing the number of Indigenous Peoples entering careers in academia. Awarded a Rotary scholarship in 1968, she was able to travel from her homeland of Denmark to pursue post-graduate work in biochemistry in the United States, at a time when it was uncommon for women to pursue higher education. After completing her PhD in 1974, she came to Canada where she taught and conducted research at the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto, until her recent retirement as a tenured faculty member.
Applications are now open. Apply via Award Spring (opens in new window) .
$30,000 (full-time students)
$15,000 (part-time students)
September 25, 2023
To be eligible for this award, students must:
- Be registered as a part- or full-time student in a graduate degree program (not including PMDip students) at Toronto Metropolitan University and have clear academic standing
- Demonstrate financial need, as determined by Toronto Metropolitan University through submission of a Student Budget Form
- Self-identify as an Indigenous person to the land we know as Canada (including First Nations (Status/Non-Status), Metis, or Inuit cultural and/or ancestral background)
- A written statement (1 page single-spaced) outline:
1. What are your plans and career goals in academia after graduation?
2. How will the money from this award impact your capacity to achieve your educational goals?
- Two reference letters:
- One letter of reference should be from an elder/ community member that can speak to the student’s volunteer experience and contributions to society/ community
- One letter of reference from an Academic familiar with the students work/ research
- CV: Students should demonstrate leadership/ volunteerism; academic involvement
Note: Budget Form will not be weighted but must be included to determine financial need.