Google Drive Help Centre
How to change owners
You can change who owns a file or folder in Drive.
1. Go to Drive or a Docs, Sheets, or Slides home screen.
2. Open the sharing box:
- In Drive: Select the file or folder and click the share icon at the top.
- In a file such as Google Doc, Sheet, or Slide file Open the file and click Share in the top-right corner of the file
3. If the new owner already has edit access, skip to Step 4. Otherwise, follow these steps:
- Type the email address of the new owner in the "Share with people and groups" field
- Click Share or Send.
4. Find the person in the list of people and groups and click on the drop down menu to the right of their name.
6. Select Is owner.
7. Click Done.
You'll have access to the file as an editor after you transfer ownership.
Things to consider before you transfer ownership
The things you’ll no longer be able to do once you transfer file ownership include:
- Remove others from the file
- Share with as many people as you like
- Change visibility options
- Allow your collaborators to change access privileges for others
- Permanently delete something from Google Drive. After it’s deleted, no one can access it, including those it was shared with.
When you transfer ownership of a folder from yourself to another person, the new owner of the folder becomes an editor of the files in that folder. The original owners of the files remain the owners, and if the original owner deletes a file, it'll be removed from the folder.
For files other than Google formats (document, presentation, spreadsheet, form and drawing), Google will automatically delete old versions after 30 days or 100 revisions, unless one chooses not to automatically delete them. Follow the procedure shown below:
How to disable automatic deletion of file versions
- Select a (non Google format) file in Google Drive on the web.
- Expand the More dropdown menu and select "Manage revisions."
Note: the Google format files do not show this option.
- Make sure the box in the "Do not auto delete" column next to the revisions you wish to keep is checked. If not, please checkmark it.
For Google Format files, the revisions may be pruned. The pruning process is more likely occur to spreadsheet: external,https://support.google.com/docs/answer/95902?hl=en (external link)