Dr. Ehsan Behzadfar
Dr. Behzadfar joined The Creative School at Toronto Met as an assistant professor in 2020. Dr. Behzadfar is a member of TMU's graduate studies with an appointment in the Chemical Engineering and Environmental Applied Science and Management programs. Prior to joining TMU, Dr. Behzadfar spent two years at Lakehead University and currently holds an adjunct appointment there. Dr. Behzadfar is a member of International Association of Packaging Research Institutes (IAPRI) and serves as a board member in the Ontario section of Society of Plastic Engineers (SPE).
Prior to the academic career, Dr. Behzadfar was a process specialist at Husky Injection Molding Systems, a leading manufacturer of food packaging machinery. Dr. Behzadfar combines experimentation with analytical and semi-analytical modeling to construct relationships between the structure-process-property of complex polymeric materials, such as multilayer polymers. Prior to Husky, Dr. Behzadfar was a postdoctoral fellow at Professor Savvas G. Hatzikiriakos’ Laboratory at the University of British Columbia (UBC).
- Visiting Scholar, Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of Minnesota (UMN), 2019
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of British Columbia (UBC), 2014-2015
- Ph.D., Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of British Columbia (UBC), 2014
- M.Sc., Polymer Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnique), 2008
- B.Sc., Polymer Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnique), 2006
- GCM 826 - Plastics and Packaging
- GCM 746 - Sustainability in Print and Packaging
- GCM 375 - Project Management
Areas of Academic Interest
Sustainable Design and Processing of Materials, Rheology of Complex Fluids, Structure-Process-Property of Polymers; Sustainable Polymer Packaging; Bio-polymers, and Bio-composite material
With the decline of natural resources, sustainability is a must for all materials design and engineering activities, including polymeric packages. Our motive is to foster the greener and more responsible materials design and processing practices while introducing advanced functionalities to end products. We are interested in understanding the structure-process-property relationship for materials in polymers and bio-composite materials through fundamental approaches to modern physics.
Selected Publications & Patents
Please visit Ehsan's Google Scholar webpage by clicking here (external link, opens in new window) .
Professional Membership & Activities
- Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO)
- Society of Plastic Engineering (SPE)
- Society of Rheology (SOR)
- International Association of Packaging Research Institutes (IAPRI)
- Canadian Society of Chemical Engineers (CSChE)
- Canadian Society of Rheology (CSR)
- Dr. Ehsan Behzadfar on the intersection of engineering and creativity to produce planet-friendly packaging (external link, opens in new window)
- How to make sustainability a way of life in your business (external link, opens in new window)
- Infrastructure funding helps build TMU research programs (opens in new window)
- The future of packaging is eco-conscious (opens in new window)
- TMU prof receives funding for eco-conscious packaging research (external link, opens in new window)
Our group is constantly looking for passionate and high-caliber candidates for undergraduate research assistantship, graduate studies (in Chemical Engineering & Environmental Applied Science and Management), and postdoctoral fellowship. Please send your resume and transcripts to Dr. Behzadfar. Qualified candidates will be notified upon the availability of positions.
Toronto Metropolitan University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from underrepresented groups, racialized persons/persons of color, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQIA persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Current Team Members
Past Team Members
- Joseph Higginson (MSc, currently with Xerox)
- Brandon Cordeiro (BEng, currently with University of Toronto)
- Tobi Samuel (BEng, currently with graham Construction & Engineering Inc)
- Anastasia Partserniak (BTech, currently with Weston Foods)
- Vishnu Teja Lashkar (MSc, currently with Balcan Packaging)
- Ahmad Dousti (MSc)