You are now in the main content area


TMU provides relocation assistance for eligible moving expenses including transportation to Toronto, temporary accommodation and moving of personal items.

As you consider moving companies, you may reach out to Steve Gray at 905-795-6783 or from Armstrong Moving (external link)  for a quote on your move. Armstrong Moving is a selected vendor for CAUBO offering discounted rates, and has successfully completed several moves for TMU faculty and faculty at other Canadian universities. 

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) (external link)  outlines and rules and regulations with respect to importing personal effects by individuals who are entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a residence for one year or more and those who are former residents of Canada and returning after a period of continuous absence of one year or more. It is important that you review the list of items that may be imported duty and tax free (external link) , including specific instructions relevant to some items as well as specifications of those items that are restricted. 

As per CBSA regulations (external link) , you must prepare two copies of a list of all the goods you intend to bring into Canada as part of your personal effects. The list should indicate the value, make, model and serial number (where applicable) of all the goods. Divide the list into two sections. In the first section, list the goods you are bringing with you; in the second, list the goods to follow. Goods that arrive later will only qualify for duty- and tax-free importation under your entitlement if they are on your original list. Check with your moving company on what assistance they are able to provide with respect to preparing the required list.

Importing or travelling with pets? Under the National Animal Health Program, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) establishes important requirements for all animals and animal products entering Canada. For further information, see the Pet Imports section of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website (external link) 

If you intend to bring a pet, check with your airline on what specific requirements must be met. You may be required to purchase a special pet carrier or obtain a health certificate from a veterinarian therefore check well in advance.