You are now in the main content area

Housing and Accommodations

Each neighbourhood in Toronto has its own distinct personality, contributing to the diversity that defines our city. Visit the following websites to learn more about neighbourhoods in Toronto: 

You are advised to do your research before booking as quality varies between establishments. Visitors find Tripadvisor (external link)  to be a good source of reviews. For more information on housing and shelter, visit the City of Toronto website (external link) .

TMU has limited on-campus accommodations during the summer months. To find out more, please visit summer accommodations website.


Short to Long-Term Accommodations

Additional Resources

Hotels and Vacation Rentals

Tenant Rights and Responsibilities

To understand your rights as a tenant in Ontario, see Renting in Ontario: Your rights (external link) . See also a guide (external link)  to a standard lease as well as information on rent increases (external link) . Additional information is also available as follows: 

Applying for a Rental Property

The following is a list of typical documents tenants are expected to provide when applying for a rental property:

  1. Signed offer letter.
  2. Full credit report including credit score for each adult tenant. This can be obtained at (external link) , for example. If you are lacking a credit history, you may also find it helpful to explore the services of SingleKey (external link) 
  3. Rental application that includes references.
  4. Bank draft or wire transfer for 2 months' rent to be applied against the first and last months' rent.

If you are considering a condo purchase, you will find important information here on rights and obligations related to owning a condo (external link) .

For information on a home purchase including warranty, home inspections, and choosing a builder, see what to know before buying a home (external link) 

A number of online resources are also available, including:

Contact Zenab Pathan for further information

Real Estate Agents

Information on selecting a real estate agent and protecting yourself from mortgage fraud can be found on the what to know before buying a home (external link)  website.

We also have referrals for experienced realtors who have successfully helped many of our new hires find the perfect property (renting or buying).

Non-Resident Speculation Tax

The Non‑Resident Speculation Tax (NRST) (external link)  is a 15 per cent tax on the purchase or acquisition of an interest in residential property located in the Greater Golden Horseshoe Region (GGH) by individuals who are not citizens or permanent residents of Canada or by foreign corporations (foreign entities) and taxable trustees. A rebate is available upon transitioning to permanent residence. 

Utilities: Heat and Hydro, Water, Cable

Heat and Hydro

Most homes are heated by natural gas, oil or electricity (“hydro”). In most apartments, the costs of heat, water, and electricity are included in the rent. If you have bought or rented a house, you will need to contact the appropriate agencies to begin service. The delivery of natural gas, a deregulated market, is supplied by a number of companies. Natural gas and oil providers can be found in the Yellow Pages (external link) . Electrical service is supplied by the local electricity utility or with a unit sub-metering company, depending on who provides electricity service for the property. In Toronto, the local electrical utility is Toronto Hydro.


Contact your local municipality/regional municipality to start your utility bill for water.

Telephone Services

There are several private companies that provide local phone services in Ontario. You may call or visit a provider suitable to your needs. You can purchase a wireless phone/phone plan and/or install a home phone. 

Telephone directories can be obtained free of charge online. Canada411 (external link)  lists all local individuals and commercial telephone subscribers. YellowPages (external link)  provides a list of businesses by the services they provide. Government Electronic Directory Services (GEDS) (external link)  provides the contact information of all government departments.

Local calls (City of Toronto and some nearby suburbs) are free from landline phones and will cost you from your cell phone. The rate is set by your provider. Long-distance calls (Toronto’s further suburbs and beyond) will cost you from a landline or a cell phone. The rate is set by your provider. Calling cards are a popular method for saving money. The same applies for international calls. Remember, to make an international call, you first have to dial 011. Calling cards can be purchased at convenience stores.

Garbage and Recycling Bins

Water in Toronto

Learn all things related to water in Toronto including water meters and pipes, tap water and living green in Toronto on the Water & Environment (external link)  website.

Home Insurance

Household Appliances and Tools

There are a number of major retail stores that sell household items including indoor and outdoor tools, furniture and renovation items. These include but are not limited to:

Home Renovations and Household Services