You are now in the main content area

Hazard Signage

Hazard signage is required on every door of a public hallway or common access routes leading into spaces where hazardous materials are stored and/or used.

Signs must include the following information:

  • substances used and/or stored;
  • personal protective equipment (PPE) required for safe handling;
  • potential hazards;
  • WHMIS symbols; and
  • contact information for the lab space including:   
    • principal investigator (PI); and
    • emergency contact.
Hazard signage outside of a classroom, showing all the required info to alert people of hazards inside.

Requesting a new sign

To request a new sign for a laboratory or support space (e.g. chemical storage room), please follow these steps:

  1. Log in to the Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) portal using your TMU ID and select “Signage Request Form” from the list of forms on the left.
  2. Complete the information for the required equipment, contents and uses of the lab space.
  3. Submit the form to generate your printable, full-colour lab sign. If you do not have a colour printer and/or you cannot print in legal format, you can request that EHS print the sign for you by selecting the applicable checkbox before clicking “Submit.”
  4. Place the card in the sign holder by simply opening the sign holder and inserting the printed sign.

Get support

EHS can support your hazard signage requirements. Contact us at or 416-979-5000, ext. 553770 if:

  • you have a lab, but no sign holder was installed; or
  • you have a sign holder, but the room is not a lab (e.g. classroom, office) or is a computer lab only (i.e. no chemical, biological or physical hazards typically present in scientific or engineering labs exist).