Telephones and Faxing
CCS provides telecommunication services and support to faculty and staff, with limited services extended to students living on campus.
Fees and costs
Faculties and departments are provided a set of baseline telecommunication services which are paid for by a monthly communications fee. Additional phone equipment, extensions and other optional features can be purchased on a cost recovery basis. For more on fees, please visit the telephone and fax costs page.
To request a new phone extension, please submit a New Phone Extension Request Form. You will be prompted to log in using your my.ryerson username and password to access the form.
If you are requesting multiple new phone extensions, please submit your request to the CCS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the:
- Number of phone sets required;
- Building and office or desk locations; and
- Cost centre to be billed.
To request a move of up to two phone extensions to a different location, please submit a Phone Extension Relocation Request Form.
To request a move of multiple phone extensions, please submit a Multiple Phone Extension Relocation Request Form.
You will be prompted to log in using your my.ryerson username and password to access the forms.
To have an existing phone extension assigned to a different employee name, please submit a Phone Extension Name Change Request Form. You will be prompted to log in using your my.ryerson username and password to access the form.
To request repair services for a phone extension, please submit a Phone Set Repair or Phone Extension Service Request Form. You will be prompted to log in using your my.ryerson username and password to access the form.
Accessing your extension
Toronto Metropolitan University’s (TMU) Cisco-based phone system allows calling to and from your TMU extension via a:
- traditional desk phone; and
- computer or mobile phone using Cisco Jabber.
Using your desk phone set
TMU issues the Cisco 8800 series phone set to employees. Please refer to the Cisco IP Phone: Quick Reference Guide, external link for guidance with:
- Placing, answering, transferring and forwarding calls
- Initiating conference calls
- Hold and mute functions
- Voicemail (please also refer to the Cisco Unity Voicemail Reference Guide, external link for more)
- Call histories
- Navigating phone set keys
In order to make and receive calls to your TMU extension using a computer, please download and install the Cisco Jabber app via the Software for Phones and Fax page. To use Cisco Jabber on a mobile, please download the Jabber app from Google Play or the Apple App Store.
Once set up, you can visit the Cisco Jabber Troubleshooting page for tips on carrying out basic call functions.
Please note Cisco Jabber is only available for use with an employee’s primary extension. If you have additional extension numbers, unfortunately, they cannot be set up for use with Jabber.
Synchronizing voicemail with your TMU Gmail account means copies of voicemail left on your phone extension will be delivered to your Gmail inbox. If you’d like to enable this feature, please submit a google formVoicemail Synchronization With Gmail Opt-in Form, external link.
- When deleting voicemails, please ensure you have removed both copies from your phone extension and Gmail as any business-related voicemail is considered a part of TMU records.
- Voicemail synchronization is available for use only with an employee’s primary extension. If you have additional extension numbers, unfortunately, they cannot be set up for synchronization with TMU Gmail.
If your phone extension is not eligible for synchronization with TMU Gmail, you have the option of receiving a notification alerting you to new voicemails without a copy of the message attached. If you’d like to enable this feature, please submit an Email Notification for Voicemail Request Form.
Faculties and departments can access fax services via the recommended digital fax software XMediusFAX, or via a traditional fax machine.
Advantages of XMediusFAX
With XMediusFAX, you can send, receive and manage faxes using your computer and an internet connection. As a digital option, there are several advantages to choosing XMediusFAX.
- Reduced equipment costs as there is no need for fax machines or fax modems.
- Reduced telephone line costs as there is no need for dedicated analog fax lines.
- Reduced operating costs as there is no need for printing paper, ink toners or fax machine repairs.
- Send faxes directly and securely from your computer;
- No need to print documents before faxing them;
- Allow users to receive fax notifications in their email;
- Send to fax machines and email addresses in one transmission.
- Detailed fax transmission reports;
- Faxes can be stored on the XMediusFAX server or your local hard drive;
- Faxes can be routed or just copied to others;
- Cover sheets can be customized or automatically populated with all sender and recipient fax details;
- Faxes can be sent to multiple people with cover sheets customized to each recipient.
- Encrypted transmissions;
- Faxes no longer need to be printed or left on a fax machine where they may be accessed by others;
- Server requires a password-protected login.
Requesting fax services
To request the setup of an XMediusFAX account for your faculty or department, please submit an XMediusFAX Account for Departments Request Form.
To request the setup of an XMediusFAX account for an employee, please submit an XMediusFAX Account for Individuals Request Form.
You will be prompted to log in using your my.ryerson username and password to access the forms. Once set up, you’ll need to download the XMediusFAX software via the XMediusFAX Installation Instructions for Windows page.
New fax line requests
To arrange for a new fax phone line, please contact the CCS Help Desk.
To purchase a new fax machine, please visit the Purchasing & Payments page for guidance.
Fax line repairs
To request service or repair for your fax phone line, please contact the CCS Help Desk.
To request service or repair for your fax machine, please contact the manufacturer.
Phone extensions are available by request for students living on campus. To request an extension as well as a physical phone set for your room, please contact Housing & Residence Life.