Dr. Ziad Saghir
Areas of Academic Interest
Heat, fluid flow and mass transfer
Computational fluid mechanics
Want to understand how oil behaves deep under the earth’s surface? “Send it into space,” says Ziad Saghir.
Formerly a program scientist at the Canadian Space Agency, Saghir investigates the impact of gravity on the movement of hydrocarbons in underground reservoirs. One of the leading reduced-gravity researchers in Canada, his experiments have flown on space shuttles, the International Space Station, an orbiting Russian satellite, and a plane that takes parabolic flights at 25,000 feet to simulate zero gravity.
Saghir’s research could lead to positive environmental impacts here on Earth. His findings are helping him develop numerical models that identify and evaluate sources of oil, which reduces the need for drilling. His research also has a positive impact on his students. “It reminds them that sometimes we can understand what’s happening under our feet by looking to the stars.”
“When professors are enthusiastic, they help students fall in love with their discipline. That’s what I strive to do.”
- Antoun, S., Saghir, M.Z., and Srinivasan, S. “Composition Effect on Thermophobicity of Ternary Mixtures: An Enhanced Molecular Dynamics Method.” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 149, 034502 (2018); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5031004.
- Bayomy, A., and Saghir, M.Z. “Experimental Study of Using γ-Al2O3 –Water Nanofluid Flow Through Aluminum Foam Heat Sink: Comparison With Numerical Approach.” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 107, 2017, pp. 181-203.
- Saghir, M. Z., Ahadi, A., Mohamad. A., and Srinivasan, S. “Water Aluminum Oxide Nanofluid Benchmark Model.” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 109, 2016, pp. 148-158.
- Ahadi, A., and Saghir, M.Z. “The Microgravity DSC-DCMIX1 Mission Onboard ISS: Experiment Description and Results on the Measurement of the Soret Coefficients for Isobutylbenzene, Dodecane, Tetralin Ternary Hydrocarbons Mixtures.” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 74, 2016, pp. 296-307.
- Mousavi, A., Yousefi, T., and Saghir, M.Z. “Accurate Measurement of Temperature and Concentration Distribution of a Mixture in a Cubic Enclosure.” International Communication in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 76, 2016, pp. 225-236.
- Microgravity Science Lab