As a TMU employee, you are required to complete some basic online learning. Once each eLearning module is complete, please provide a copy of your certificate to your supervisor.
New employees are required to complete the training modules within two weeks of their start date.
Accessing eLearning courses
There are six required eLearning modules for you to complete. Courses available through direct links to learning portals
- AODA - All employees of TMU including faculty, instructors, staff as well as volunteers and contractors; those who develop policies, practices, and procedures related to provision of services; and any other person who interacts with people on TMU's behalf, are required by law to complete accessibility training. For more information on this module, visit the Accessibility Training for Employees on the Accessibility site.
- Access to Information and Protection of Privacy - This training will help you understand your obligations for handling and protecting Personal Information (PI) in compliance with Ontario’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (“FIPPA”).
- Environmental Health and Safety - The training will help you understand your environmental health and safety rights and responsibilities, as outlined in the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and TMU’s Policies and Programs.
- Building a Campus Where Consent Comes First: Understanding TMU's Sexual Violence Policy - In this training, you will learn about TMU Sexual Violence Policy and how it applies to you, your supervisor and your employer. You will also learn more about the necessity and importance of TMU’s This Is How We Take Care of Each Other initiative.
- Workplace Harassment Prevention - This training will help you to assess the risks of workplace violence and understand your duty to report concerning behaviour. It is part of TMU's Workplace Violence Prevention and Response Program.
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) - This awareness training provides users with information on the new WHMIS 2015 requirements. It is designed to introduce you to the new symbols, safety data sheets, and labelling requirements for hazardous (chemical) and controlled products.
- Employees who work in areas where hazardous materials are used (i.e. wet labs or research involving chemical use) are also required to take an additional Chemical Safety module. For details on accessing this module, visit the Chemical Safety course information on the Facilities Management and Development website.
Step 1: Log into my.torontomu.ca and click on “Your courses in D2L Brightspace”.
Step 2: Click your desired course.
Note: If you are enrolled in 13 or more courses, you may not see these mandatory courses listed. Instructions on how to locate these courses can be found by clicking on “More about ‘My Courses’” which is located to the right of the “My Courses” widget.
Step 3: Click “Content” to advance to the eLearning Table of Contents.
Additional course for leaders
- Health and Safety for Leaders eLearning - This course provides necessary and important information to help you understand your role as a leader as it relates to health and safety.
- Enroll in the Health and Safety for Leaders eLearning training through the Learning Events Calendar.
- Once you’ve enrolled, log into my.torontomu.ca and click on “Your courses in D2L Brightspace” under the “Online Courses and Organizations'' heading.
- Select “Health and Safety for Leaders eLearning”
- Note: If you are enrolled in 13 or more courses, you may not see these mandatory courses listed. Instructions on how to locate these courses can be found by clicking on “Find out more about 'My Courses’” which is located to the right of the “My Courses” widget.
- Click “Content” to advance to the eLearning Table of Contents.
After enrolling, the course can be accessed from the D2L Brightspace homepage where it will be listed under "My Courses.
Once you’ve completed a module, you’ll receive a certificate which you can provide to your leader for their records.
Download your certificate of completion
A certificate will automatically be generated shortly after completing all modules. Please note it may take a few minutes for the award to show.
To download a PDF copy of your certificate, navigate to the “Awards” section within the course. Click on the specific course you have completed, and a pop-up containing a “Generate Certificate” button will appear.
For questions about Access to Information and Protection of Privacy eLearning, please contact the Office of the General Counsel and Secretary of the Board of Governors at email@example.com or 416-979-5000, ext. 4676.
For questions about Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) eLearning, please contact the Accessibility Office in the OVPECI at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-979-5000, ext. 4144.
For questions regarding the content of the Environmental Health and Safety, WHMIS or Health and Safety for Leaders eLearning, please contact Environmental Health and Safety at email@example.com or 416-979-5000, ext. 553770.
For questions about the Building a Campus Where Consent Comes First: Understanding TMU's Sexual Violence Policy eLearning, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-979-5000, ext. 3596.
For questions about Workplace Harassment Prevention eLearning, please contact email@example.com.
For technical questions or assistance with troubleshooting D2L, please contact the Computing and Communications Services (CCS) Faculty and Staff Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-979-5000, ext. 556806.