What's New in Brightspace
On September 1, there will be a change to the features of the Turnitin plagiarism detection tool available to Toronto Metropolitan University instructors. We will continue to provide Turnitin for originality checking, but instructors will no longer have access to the tool’s grading and feedback functionalities.
Use Turnitin to check assignment originality
Turnitin Originality Check helps to promote academic integrity by comparing a student’s written assignment submissions against the Turnitin content database and provides instructors with a report showing areas of similarity.
Instructors can enable Turnitin when creating an assignment in D2L Brightspace. The reports and at-a-glance similarity score can be accessed directly from the D2L Brightspace Assignment submission list.
Providing feedback on student assignments
As of September 1, users will be unable to provide student scoring and feedback via Turnitin’s Feedback Studio or GradeMark features. Users are encouraged to use the grading, annotation and feedback features available in the D2L Brightspace Assignment tool.
If you're new to teaching at Toronto Metropolitan University (or returning from a break), remember that each term, for each course section you are teaching, you need to fill out the course shell request form to request your D2L shells, and use Self Service to add your co-instructors and TAs. If you need a refresher, check our our "Getting Started" resources.
Shell Management Tools
- Request a demo student account for testing your course shells. The request form can be found in the "Request and Manage Course Shell" section if you don't already have one.
- Update the shell name from Self Service (updates both the Brightspace shell and corresponding Google Group).
- When managing members, you can now add multiple usernames at the same time (provided they all require the same role).
- Every shell request will now automatically come with a corresponding Google Group, making it easier for you to leverage the Google Workspace functionality for your class.
- If you already have a demo student account, they will automatically be added to your new shells with a role of "Student".
- Student sections can only be added by the instructor assigned to the lecture section, according to RAMSS.
In recent months, D2L has made a number of improvements to the Annotations tool in Assignments. It's now easier than ever to provide inline comments and markup as feedback, right on a student's assignment submission.
Here is a collection of new documents and updated documents related to the use of D2L Brightspace at Toronto Metropolitan University.
Due to the changing nature of our teaching and learning practice, our resources are regularly updated.
We'll do our best to add links here!
View the latest video tutorials and webinars
Find all of our D2L Brightspace video tutorials and webinars on our Brightspace Ryecast page, opens in new window.