Dr. Hesham Marzouk
Areas of Academic Interest
Ultra high strength concrete structural members
Structural health monitoring
Before his keen interest in research pushed him toward an academic career, Hesham Marzouk worked as an engineering consultant for several multinational corporations. One such job took him to the Hibernia oil platform, a $6-billion project off the coast of Newfoundland. “I was focused on ensuring that the concrete gravity platform could resist massive forces such as icebergs,” he says.
Marzouk has transitioned from work mainly in the oil and gas sectors to a primary focus on structural health monitoring. “For example, bridges that were designed to last about 50 years are standing for more like 100 years. They suffer from fatigue from sustained stress, so we use sensors that send information to a device that tells you what changes are occurring.” He also conducts research into ultra-high-strength concrete, which is very light and strong.
Marzouk sees structural engineering as a creative endeavour that calls on knowledge from the past through to the present. “Great engineering students like tough challenges and draw on both wide technical knowledge and creative thinking to resolve them.”
“Great engineers – and students – have technical knowledge, learn from experience and use creativity to solve problems.”
- ICSGE 15 Honorary Award Conference Award 2018 / Ain Shams University Prize / Fifteenth international Conference on Structural and Geotechnical Engineering “The Use of Random Decrement Vibration for Damage Identification for Slab Concrete System”, Cairo, Egypt, December 18-20, 2018.
- NTC 2018 Honorary Award Housing & Building National Research Centre Prize / Award Housing and Building Institute, Tenth international Conference on Nano-Technology, “The Use of UHPC for Special Projects”, Hurgada, Egypt, April 12-17, 2018.
- Housing and Building Honorary Award Housing & Building National Research Centre Prize / Award Certificate of Accomplishment KEYNOTE Speaker, 2015
- Elected Fellow of The American Concrete Institute American Concrete Institute Prize / Award In recognition of outstanding Contributions to the American Concrete Institute, 2014
- Smart Monitoring, Assessment and Rehabilitation of Civil Structures, (EMPA, Switzerland), SMAR Conference (Dubai), Best Paper Award, February, 2011.
- Elected Fellow of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, 1989
- Othman, H., Marzouk, H., “Finite-Element Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Plates Subjected to Repeated Impact Loads” ASCE, J. Structural Eng., Vol. 143 (9), 2017:04017120.
- Morsy, R., Marzouk, H., Haddara, Gu, X., “Multi-Channel Random Decrement Smart Sensing System for Concrete” Engineering Structures J; V.143, 2017, pp.469-476.
- Yazdizadeh, Z., Marzouk. H. and Hadianfard, M. A. “Monitoring of concrete shrinkage and creep using FBG sensors”, Const. and Build. Materials J., Vol (137), Feb 2017, pp 505- 512.
- Othman, H., Marzouk, H., “Impact Response of Ultra-High Performance Concrete Plates” ACI Structural J., Vol. 113 (6), Nov. 2016, p.1143-1150.
- Othman, H., Marzouk, H., “Strain Rate Sensitivity of Fiber-Reinforced Cementitious Composites” ACI Materials J., Vol. 113 (2), Mar 2016, pp.143-150
- Elected American Concrete Institute Fellow, ACI Fellow, Spring 2013
- Fellow of the Canadian Institute
- Member of CSA Offshore Code
- Developed a patent for crack width estimate for concrete beams
- Invited Keynote address, NTC 2018, Tenth international Conference on Nano-Technology “The Use of UHPC for Special Projects”, Hurgada, Egypt, April 12-17, 2018
- Invited Keynote address, HBRC-ISHMII-BTMA2 2nd international Conference on Bridge Testing Mentoring & Assessment, “The Use of FBG for Bridge Health Monitoring Applications”, Cairo, Egypt, Dec.26-29, 2015
- Invited Keynote Address, Future Concrete in Qatar, Doha, Qatar, Dec 2-3, 2014.
- Keynote Address, “Seismic Retrofitting of Concrete Plates”, 4th Inter. Conf. on Seismic Retrofitting, Tabriz, Iran, May 2-4, 2012