Dr. Seyed M. Hashemi
Areas of Academic Interest
Finite Elements Method (FEM)
Numerical / Analytical / Semi-analytical Methods in Structural Dynamics / Vibrations / Stability
Mesh-Reduction / Highly Convergent Methods
Dynamic Modelling of Intact / Defective Flexible Composite Airframes
Additive Manufacturing (AM) / 3D Printing
|1992||Université de Lille I||DEA|
|1990||Sharif University of Technology||BSc|
Whether he’s working behind the scenes in his lab or contributing to the most exciting transportation project of the decade, Seyed Hashemi is always making something new.
A professor and a researcher of vibrations in composite structures, Hashemi is also the main faculty advisor for Toronto Metropolitan University’s International Hyperloop Team, which won the Subsystem Innovation Award at the 2016 SpaceX competition. “It was incredible for the students,” he says. “It gave them the chance to build something that, one day, could have a huge impact on society.”
For all of Hashemi’s students, Hyperloopers included, the road to success begins in his classroom. “I give them direct examples from my own career and what’s happening now in industry, so they know how the equations on the board apply in the real world.” Once they have the foundations, Hashemi encourages them to make the most of the opportunities at Toronto Metropolitan University, including RIADI, teams and clubs, and co-operative internships.
These opportunities add up to the kind of experience that Hashemi knows will help students build careers as fulfilling as his own. “The French word for engineering—génie—also means to do out-of-the-ordinary work and design new things,” he says. “That’s what I get to do every day.”
“My graduate students trust me as a mentor. They have my cellphone number, and they know I’m here for them.”
- Mohammad M. Elahikahooker and Seyed M. Hashemi “A Framework for Extension of Dynamic Finite Element Formulation to Flexural Vibration Analysis of Thin Plates," Shock & Vibration, Volume 2017 (2017), Article ID 5905417, 10 pages, 2017. doi:10.1155/2017/5905417 (external link) .
- Nicholas H. Erdelyi and Seyed M. Hashemi "On the Finite Element Free Vibration Analysis of Delaminated Layered Beams- A New Assembly Technique," Shock & Vibration, vol. 2016, Article ID 3707658, 14 pages, 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/3707658.
- Omar Gaber and S.M. Hashemi " Modal Analysis of Spindles while Accounting for System Decay and its Application to Machine tool Chatter Prevention," Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Tech. (Springer), 80 (Issue 1-4 (external link) ): 275-292 (Published online: 24 March 2015), doi:10.1007/s00170-015-6979-4.
- Amin Moosavian, Fengfeng Xi, and Seyed M. Hashemi, “Optimal Configuration Design for the Variable Geometry Wing-box”, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, 51(3), 811-823, May-June 2014, doi:10.2514/1.C032451.
- Amin Moosavian, Fengfeng Xi, and Seyed M. Hashemi, “Design and Motion Control of Fully Variable Morphing Wings”, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, 50(4), 1189-1201, July–August 2013.
Member of the Editorial Board
- Curved and Layered Structures; DeGruyter Open, Bogumila Zuga 32A Str., 01-811 Warsaw, Poland
- Advances in Aerospace Engineering; Hindawi Publishing Corporation.
- The Transdisciplinary International Journal: Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Aerospace and Sciences (MESA), Cambridge Scientific Publishers, UK (I&S, USA).
- The International Journal of Vehicle Structures & Systems (JVSS), MechAero Group, Chennai, India.
- Ryerson International Hyperloop Team (RIHT), 2015-17
- Ryerson Hyperloop Pod Team (RHPT), 2017-