Dr. Krishna Kumar
Areas of Academic Interest
Spacecraft Dynamics and Control
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
Big Data Analytics
Genetic Algorithms and Genetic Programming
Miniature Wireless Systems
How can we prevent accidents before they happen? According to Krishna Kumar, through the Internet of Things and Big Data analytics.
Over the last seven years, Kumar and his graduate students have been focused on troubleshooting spacecraft attitude control, orbital maneuvering and formation flying, as well as miniature wireless systems.
While the majority of the work has applications exclusive to space, Kumar is also using the knowledge they’ve gained to develop solutions for problems here on earth—such as algorithms that allow companies like Bombardier and MHICA to create proactive maintenance schedules to make trains and engines failsafe. “With a minimum amount of data,” says Kumar, “my grad students and I can predict engine failure six months in advance.”
For Kumar, the collaborative nature of engineering research is the only way to efficiently problem solve. “Working alone might be fine in other professions, but not when you’re wrestling with some of the biggest challenges in industry and society.”
"We must solve problems that are relevant to the industry."
- Canada Research Chair (2005-2015)
- Ontario Early Researcher Award (2006-2011)
- Corresponding Member, International Academy of Astronautics, France (2015)
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellow (2001-2003)
- Zou, A., Kumar, K. D., and de Ruiter, A., “Spacecraft Attitude Control Using Two Control Torques,” Information Sciences, Vol. 408, 2017, pp. 23-40.
- Kumar, K. D., Misra, A. K., Varma, S., Reid, T., and Bellefeuille, F., “Maintenance of Satellite Formations Using Environmental Forces,” Acta Astronautica, Vol. 102, Sept.-Oct. 2014, pp. 341-354.
- Rahimi, A., Kumar, K. D., and Alighanbari, H., “Enhanced Adaptive Unscented Kalman Filter for Reaction Wheels,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 51, No. 2, April 2015, pp. 1568-1575.
- Zou, A., and Kumar, K., D., “Robust Attitude Coordination Control for Spacecraft Formation Flying Under Actuator Failures,” AIAA J. Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 35,No. 4,2012,pp. 1247-1255.
- Etemadi, S. and Kumar, K. D., “Hydrodynamic-Reaction Actuator (HyDRA) for Attitude Maneuvering and Stabilization of Satellites,” Canadian Provisional Patent No. 6037446, Date of Filing: 2017-02-3.
- Co-editor, Acta Astronautica
- Member, Ontario Centres of Excellence Expert Reviewer, Ontario